Setting up a webserver from home computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by computernewbie, Sep 26, 2007.

1. computernewbie

computernewbie Private E-2

I really want to set up a website, but hosting a website is a lot of money, that i don't have lol. so i was thinking and i decided i want to make my computer a web server to host my website, if my website is successful then later i will upgrade to a better host but for now my computer will do just fine.I am willing to pay for a domain name, because it is cheap(any suggestions on were to get a domain?).
    so can someone help me do this,i am new to computer to please spare me on the technical works and technical directions. thanks in advance

and also i cant do anything that will brake my computer it's the only one i got.:)

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I am not sure how to make the domain work off your pc but you can use Apache which is free you can get it here Also i recommend using Name Cheap for you domain which is here And also i recommend using a Dynamic DNS service and forward your domain URL to that addresses not inless you have a static IP. NameChep has a Dynamic DNS service free of change when you buy a domain with them. I use NameCheap for my domains but i am not sure how there Dynamic DNS service works because i use a webhost.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Your not gonna like my advice, but none the less i have done it before. Dont!!!!, again i say dont, if your not able to setup it by yourself, your gonna have tons of problems and your site will be under frequent attack. First you need to have a static ip to host a proper site, regardless of people telling you that you can host with a dynamic ip. Second your isp more then likely blocks port 80 so your website address will probably be something funky like namewhatever.com:340 or some random port. Apache is a good program but difficult to set up properly under windows. Seriously with webhosting running 10 dollors or less now Its way more easy to just pay for it and not have to worry. Im not trying to shoot down you ideas, but this is a big undertaking and you need to be aware. If after reading this you wish to continue, send me a private message. I will try to help you out.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think I'd want a separate computer to use for this if I were going to try it. I'd take Colemanguy's advice. For a good, inexpensive hosting service, take a look at http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/ I've used them for over a year now. Their Starter Plan is $4/mo. No setup fee, and no minimum time requirement for new customers; in other words, you can cancel at any time. I use goddady.com as a domain name registrar.

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Like Colemanguy said the best thing to use is a webhost. Its hassle free and also leaving port 80 if you can is bad it can leave you up for attacks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds