Windows PCs: getting info about hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WarKirby, Aug 9, 2010.

1. WarKirby

WarKirby Private First Class

hello folks. I have an issue.

5 machines. The owner knows nothing about them, he's not a technical person, and it's my job to find out info, with a view to upgrading by replacing parts, or adding new things.

I'm using dxdiag to get a basic survey of the hardware, but a few things are missing:

1. The motherboard. I need to find out which board is in each, so I can then google it and find out what kind of cpu socket, and memory slots it has

2. Memory type. DDR1/2/3 etc. This is important for knowing what kind of additional memory to get, as these machines are sorely in need of more.

3. optionally, memory distribution. Dxdiag seems to only tell me the total memory, but I'd like to know whether a 512 machine is a single 512 stick, or 2x256, or even 4x128.

Number 3 at least I can tell easily by taking it apart and looking inside. Is that going to be necessary for all of them though?

Is there any app I can use which provides this more detailed info that I require.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

URL="http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html"]SIW - system info for Windows [/URL]
    Aida32
    Both tell you plenty of info.. a 'johhny come lately'
    Speccy ( I think is the name ) not as detailed last time I looked.

You can get portable versions of both programs too.

SIW screen shot attached.

Attached Files:

• siw.png
      siw.png
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You talk a lot about memory so perhaps go crucial.com and let their tool determine the memory status of each rig. It'll give you recommendations based on your mobo and current RAM info. The above tools are decent but if you just want to know about memory...

5. WarKirby

Ok, from the ones recommended so far, I've tried:

Crucial tool:
    Does exactly what I want for memory.... and advertises to me, too. Doesn't offer any other useful info.
    ------
    Aida32:
    unclear motherboard identification. It identified this computer's motherboard as "Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400" which is afaik, dell's name for the whole machine as a package. Also doesn't list the number of memory sticks in the computer, but it does tell me that I have "512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)". Bonus points for not spamming and running from a directory
    ------
    PCWizard:
    Loses points right off the bat for trying to install the Ask toolbar. In fact, for trying to install anything in the first place. having to install it is a bit annoying since I'm going to be running it on many PCs, given that Aida32 just runs from a folder. And it'll be leaving behind a mess. AND it sticks itself in the system tray. Overall too invasive and messy.

despite that, offers good info. Identifies this PC's mainboard as "Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548" which is a little more informative, although google can't seem to find specs on it with a brief search. The memory it says is "512 MB(1 x 512 DDR SDRAM)". I'm not sure if the ommiting of the PC2700 part would be problematic if I were trying to purchase more compatible memory based on this info. Anyone know ?

------------------------
    So far, none are perfect. Will keep testing. If you know of one that more specifically meets these needs, do post.

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

7. augiedoggie

If these are all Dell's then just punch the serial# in and you should have all info there. These seem to be machines from around 2K2, so you could get anything PC2700 and above, the only thing I'd worry about is max RAM, some boards could only handle 512MB, if Crucial couldn't give you that info then I'm sure Dell can..

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And if they aren't Dells, sometimes you can just pop the cover and look - many mobos have manufacturer/model info stamped in plain sight...

9. WarKirby

they're not.

Key points bolded.
    Apart from that,, opening the cover is a time consuming process.

What I really want is one app I can put on a USB stick, and use it to quickly test one machine after another. one app that gives all the info I need, without needing installation, and without spamming adverts or toolbars.

I'll try more of those posted in this thread tomorrow.

10. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I'd say SIW is your best bet. My original link is pooched, but the screen shot shows some of the info. memory slots 2 & what is populated.

http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html

But Dell PC's mobos are just recognized as Dell... which is their branding so their OEM software will only install on "dell' PCs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

SIW is a very good program.
    Find what you need and doesn't install to the drive unless you put it there.

12. augiedoggie

These are probably generic mobos that no one has heard of.

13. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

If you can manually look inside at the motherboard and they were nice enough to print the model number, revison and manufacturers name on the board, you can get very accurate info from the boards manufacturer about all the things you need. System info apps are nice but nothing beats an actual look inside if the info is there. Newer boards and especially OEM boards don't like you to play, so they leave the model number and other info off. Often system info apps will tell you the board manufacturer and it model number and revision but can you trust the info is correct?

14. holiday

holiday Private E-2

I would not rely on a software application to tell me the exact specs of the hardware found inside. Usually a phillips screwdriver, a notepad and a little dedication has always worked very accurately and well for me.

15. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Thats nice if his friend built his own, but since he's a non tech I suspect all his PC's will be OEM and OEM manufacturers like to put the stops on you fiddling around with their stuff. They would rather you paid them to do it for you.

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to holiday. And supposing they don't remember where everything goes?
    The programs mentioned are all very good at their intended purposes.
    I personally use SIW and have never found it to be wrong.

17. holiday

holiday Private E-2

I find FCC tags on OEM parts. Also I tend to document a lot when I'm working. If I might get confused, I use my camera.

18. WarKirby

SIW is perfect
    /thread

19. Maudibe

Maudibe Private E-2

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  20. gamefreak863

gamefreak863 Private First Class

did everyone here forget about cpu-z?

21. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Here's another one for you to try

SIV (System Information Viewer) 4.11
    NB: This is SIV, not SIW ;)
    http://majorgeeks.com/SIV_System_Information_Viewer_d4779.html
    Rating: 4.81 (79 votes)

My Note: Excellent rating, out of 5.0
    Lots of tabs at the bottom for further info.

I use both, SIV and SIW if necessary.

See attachment.

Bazza

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds