delete temp files

Discussion in 'Software' started by moif, Feb 13, 2004.

1. moif

moif Private E-2

On the site How To Run Windows Well it says to delete everything in c:\temporary internet files. When I go to search>files or folders and type in c:\temporary internet files I find I have 11,700 files and when I try to delete them I lose too much and have to restore all in the recycle bin. What am I looking at on that page? Thanks. moif

2. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

I would not delete anything out of the c:\windows\temp folder unless it is at least 5 days old. :rolleyes:

3. deyb

deyb Private E-2

I just happened to have this pic handy, hope it helps :)

Attached Files:

4. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

To robo

5 days was a stretch as you say, Just being cautious. You should leave definitly leave 2 days. The rest of the files there is no problem. :eek:

5. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

:rolleyes: Okay you guys, I know when I am being picked on. ha :) :)

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As the others have said it's best to delete Temp Internet Files from the location in the pic deyb posted :)

If you are on XP the searching for c:\temporary internet files will generally pull up 2 lots of that folder ( depending on how many users you have assigned ) as they are in these folders..........

Default User
    XXXXX User ( thats your user name )
    Guest User ( if you have that setup )

plus any other user names you have setup.

Still thats alot of files to hold as I will imagine most are old and out of date from sites you have just passed through, what I do is to lower the amount of junk that gets stored in the TIF, this is just my rule and open to further input....

If on DUN ( 56k ) set the amount of space to use for the TIF to 20mb tops!

If on xDSL or Cable just set a token on of say 5mb ( BB is quick enough to load pages anyway )

7. moif

moif Private E-2

ok had 296mb set and lowered that, also reboot was part of the answer. Thanks, moif

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds