Windows ME Booting Slow (Stuck on ME Screen)

Discussion in 'Software' started by bper, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

Windows ME, 128M Ram, P4 processor.

When booting the system, the Windows ME screen sits there for a while (about 5 mins.) before continuing to boot.

Once booted, the machine runs well. I did online scans in normal mode because I can't get into safe mode with networking (the option does not exist on this system).

Safe mode boot gets past the ME screen quickly. Normal mode does not.
    No viruses appear, no spyware, adware. I didn't see anything strange in HJT.

Any clue why it takes so long to pass the ME screen?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  2. pizzabox

pizzabox Private E-2

It sounds like it's due to a process that it's having difficulty loading. Have you recently changed any hardware or software?? Sometimes it can be caused by Windows trying to load something that no longer exists!

My suggestion is to run 'msconfig' and see which process are being loaded when Windows starts. Another place to look would be in Startup (found on Start -> Programs -> Startup) as these programs are also loaded.

Try and load Windows with the minimum of processes it needs as it's a good way to check. It could also be a driver problem, but we can investigate this if it's not a process.

If you get stuck or anything, just post it up!

3. bper

bper Corporal

Thanks for responding.

I tried the minimum processes with msconfig before and it still stalls.

I wanted to do a step by step confirmation of the drivers, but I haven't figured out how. I do step by step, but all of the drivers are not listed. just one or two.

Any suggestions?

4. bper

bper Corporal

OK,

I think I may have narrowed it down to devldr16.exe.

This .exe prevents me from getting a clean boot. This exe is checked in startup even when I uncheck it in msconfig.

I can't get rid of it with HijackThis.

Any suggestions?

5. bper

bper Corporal

Thanks for the link. Actually I saw this information in sysinfo.org startuplist.

But following the directions, I can't remove it. Everytime I uncheck it in the startup tab in msconfig, it gets check when the computer restarts. Creative Miscellaneous Devices is not in my Device manager list options. To disable I would have to disable the soundcard.

6. bper

bper Corporal

OK, I disabled the card, that driver is no longer checked so I think I have acheived a clean boot. However, my problem still exists. It doesn't occur in safe mode, but it does occur with selective startup and no startup programs checked and no other items checked in the selective startup list.

Does this mean that there is nothing else that I can do?

7. bper

bper Corporal

OK, update.

I performed a logged boot (/bootlog.txt) and the following drivers failed to load:

[0007182E] LoadFailed = C:\WINDOWS\system\VMM32\vshare.VXD
    [00071870] Dynamic load failed : [00071870] File not found

Could this be my problem?
    How can I either fix this or remove these so that they do not try to load?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds