Not sure which hardware isn't working anymore...(stop errors)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JBR, Sep 24, 2008.

1. JBR

JBR Private E-2

I apologize in advance, since I know very little about hardware and this will be long, but I'll try to give as much info as I can:

My girlfriend's computer (a desktop built by her friend) started shutting down on it's own (without any warning) after she moved in. She also wasn't able to get a few windows updates, so we reinstalled Windows XP. Updates are now okay, but still shutting down randomly. Her friend installs a new motherboard, and the shutdown problem seems to clear. I update all of her antivirus and malware programs, etc. Several days pass, and now I'm getting various stop errors (ending in 8E, 7E, 50, 24, and probably a few others) virtually every time the OS tries to load. I can't get to windows from normal mode, safe mode, the last known good configuration, or from booting from the installation disc.

Could this be a motherboard issue? The motherboard seems highly suspect to me, since it has no brand name on the packaging or the manual. It just says "motherboard" on both. Her same friend installed it, and so we assumed it was good since he was the one who chose the board. He says it was the only compatible one he could find.

The only system specs I know of right now are that the OS is Windows XP SP3, memory is 512MB DDR dual channel, she has an nvidia graphics card (not sure which model, or how to find out), and that's about it.

The information on the motherboard box is this:
    SIS 761GX/965L Chipset
    GOAL3+
    Socket 754 CPU
    FSB 800 MHz
    AMD Sempron Processor onboard

If I need to give any other info, let me know how, and I will. Apologies once again for not knowing more.

2. JBR

JBR Private E-2

UPDATE: Okay, I just got my new memory for my computer, so I put my old cards (512mb, 2 x 256) into her computer. Now I can get to the desktop screen, but before the taskbar or any icons appear, stop error 8E consistently comes up. In Safe Mode the computer ran for quite a while (enough time to find a piece of malware on a Spybot scan), but the blue screen eventually came again. Still error 8E.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, not sure if it helps, but more specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    148GB hard drive

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You may have to reinstall xp with a new motherboard install......:(

wait...you said it does run in safe mode?

Perhaps you should go to the malware forum and run the Read and Run First...just to rule out malware.

4. JBR

JBR Private E-2

Thanks, I'll have to try this. I noticed that everything froze when I ran Spybot for a while and then again with AVG free antivirus, both in safe mode. And AVG warned me of a suspicious file on the motherboard disc (when I was installing the sound drivers), but I hesitantly went along with installation at the time.

Thanks again. I'll check out the malware forum.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds