Computer continuously restarts before POST.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassguy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bassguy

bassguy Private E-2

Hello. I started having random reboots upon a cold startup a few months ago. It has progressively gotten worse and earlier in the startup process to the point where it will restart several times before the memory test screen even appears. Now after 3 or 4 attempts to start, it will hang with no screen activity and even holding down the power button will not shut it off. If I then unplug the computer, wait several seconds and plug it back in, it boots and runs normally. The computer will boot normally while it is warm, but after being shut off for several hours, I have to go through the whole process again. I suspect my power supply may be failing????? According to my Intel active monitor, all power levels are slightly above normal except CPU I/O which is slightly below normal at 1.458v.

I have reseated all my cards, memory and cables. Ran memtest... no problems. Scanned for viruses and spyware with multiple programs... no problems. Cash is a little tight right now, so I don't want to run out and buy a new PSU unless I can be relatively sure that is the problem. Opinions? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

need specs on system to see whats going on. There are several boards out that have coldstart issues .yours may be one.

3. bassguy

bassguy Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, here's the specs.

Intel Socket 478 D865GLC Board, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1GB DDR400 Ram, WD800JD SATA HD, Radeon 9550 AGP, Allied 330w 19a @ +12v PSU, CD burner, Sound card, PCI Ethernet adapter, 2 case fans, Windows XP SP2.

The Intel MoBo is 6 months old. The original ASUS MoBo crapped out 6 months ago.

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

5. bassguy

bassguy Private E-2

Well I appreciate the help, but I've tried most of that already. The situation is getting worse daily. I noticed some power fluctuations imediately after it boots so I went ahead and ordered a new PSU... should be here Friday. Will let you know if it solves the problem. :)

6. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

cool keep us posted

7. bassguy

bassguy Private E-2

Just installed the new PSU and it booted from cold perfectly on the first try.... hasn't done that in weeks. :) I'll take the old one apart and look for a cold solder joint or something simple like that..... otherwise it goes in the trash.

BG

8. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

I’m assuming you’re aware that inside that old PSU is a set of capacitors that store a charge. Even if it’s not connected to the mains it can still do damage and may pose a shock risk. I’d discharge the PSU before opening it or better yet, I’d bin it. Your City/County may have rules on how to dispose of dangerous/toxic materials and computer equipment. You could contact the proper department and get it disposed of properly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds