Upgrade Allready

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geek101, Apr 13, 2005.

1. geek101

geek101 Private E-2

:(

I recently just got a Dell Dimension 2400. blahh.

It was more geared towards work, but now I find myself playing video games more than working on it.

So here goes,

I have a p4 2.8 no HT support and the cpu is 533 FSB, also not a prescott.
    The Motherboard is a 845gv or g. Basically no AGP slot, just PCI.

Im looking to get a motherboard with an AGP slot, FSB of 800/533 support incase I later upgrade the processor but thats not a big concern.(looking for a cheap/worthy MoBo).

Should be a MicroATX.(dont want to buy a case) socket 478. Are their boards out there for me with Duall CHannel support? Not a biggy, but would be cool. As far as the ramm support, I believe I have DDR 2700 installed(256mb) allready, so something I can incorparate with that.

Anyone know of a good quality MoBO that jumps to mind for me? Dont want a top end MoBo, just a good one for a cheap price.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

one other thing you should know...

in addition to the motherboard it seems you are planning on getting an AGP video card. That is fine... heres the catch

Dell mostly uses Proprietary powert supplies that are made specifically for DELL motherboards. Even if it does fit into a new board, the additional power draw of an AGP vide card would likely be too much for the power supply. So you're going to need a motherboard, video card, and power supply ;) i'll look for some decent micro ATX boards and post back in a few.

however IMO, since you're going to need a power supply anyway, and from the sound of it you wont be buying a nice $80 power supply, you might as well get a case+PSU combo, as there are many of those for under $55.

3. geek101

geek101 Private E-2

Yeah, I think your right, I just looked at the specs for my pc and I have a dismal 200 watt PSU. Arrrg!

Thanks for the help!

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

no problem-- are you still aiming to stay in your Micro ATX case? (so I know which motherboards to recommend to you)

if not, i just found this pretty good deal on a nice case+450w PSU from FrozenCPU http://www.frozencpu.com/cst-249.html

let me know and I'll start recommending.

5. geek101

geek101 Private E-2

Wow, I didnt realize that you can get them for so cheap. Yeah, Its definatly worth it. So I am going to be looking for a ATX Mobo. Im guessing this is the "standard" or more common board.

For me, more common = more supply than demand = better price for me.

Im thinking if I am going to upgrade, should I just shoot for a board with PCI Express over AGP?

I see that theres a few video cards out there thats reasonible. Is the industry shying away from AGP platform?

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

PCI express is more than just a new graphics slot, its an entirely new PCI architecture for the motherboard--like widening the lanes of the highways to alleviate traffic (/end bad analogy :p)--so yes, in a couple of years they are going to phase out AGP. But thats in a couple of years, so its not significantly 'better' at the moment.

the problem anyway, is that Intel PCI-Express boards arent socket 468 compatible, only LGA-775 (socket T) to my knowledge.

if you just want a good, cheap intel board for your current 533fsb P4 'B', with room to upgrade to a P4 'C' or 'E', then i'd recommend an Intel motherboard such as the D865P series (it comes with different options for different models), or the D875P. Intel boards are rock solid, and usually cheap.

other models to look at are the Asus P4P800 and P4C800, I like the P4C800 myself.

7. geek101

geek101 Private E-2

Thank you very much for all the usefull info.

I have researched the boards and Im pretty much narrowing down where I am headed.

Whuch brings me to the Video card issue. I see alot of debate about ATI or Nvidia, which im not going to ask you to discuss. Im looking towards a Nvidia card, and dont want to buy one thats "bad design" or a "not so good one".

I see this mentioned about the fx 5500 or 5xxx series.

Since I would like to run video games on it with a high resolution or high settings, I would assume im going to need a pretty good card and Im going to be paying a little bit extra.

Now with my p4. 2.8
    A MoBo with an intel 865 chipset.
    Any things I should look out for, So I dont waste money on a video upgrade just so my PC is bothered by any "Bottleneck" issues or anything of this sort?

My MoBo will have AGP 8x. Does this also equall 3.0 (pro) ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds