Stolen Laptop

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Linda Long, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Linda Long

Linda Long Private E-2

My son's laptop was stolen when his house was robbed. He gave the police the serial number. The thieves actually used the laptop to access American Singles sight and somehow used his Visa card number to pay for it. Bank of America called to alert him of the unusal charge so his was able to cancel the card. Is there any way to track the laptops location from this?

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

bank of america might be able to get an ip address of where the transaction took place, so long as the website has it and is willing to give it up...might give them an idea of where it's at, but from what i've heard, isp's only keep their records for a few days, maybe a month.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

This won't help you retrieve your stolen laptop, but may help find if credit card info stored on our computers.

Check out Find My Credit Card 2.3.0.0 at http://majorgeeks.com/Find_My_Credit_Card_d5276.html

My note : Not a real good rating. I use it periodically to check if I have stored my details on my laptop.

Bazza

4. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

hey guys i got idea wut the laptop lookes like

[​IMG]

srry couldnt resist but on a seriouse note its a long shot but some of ur newer laptops are coming with a built in gps chip

5. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Some laptops come with built-in firmware that can be used to track the PC. If this was a school PC or a company PC, it may have this feature. If it was purchase by your son, it is something he would buy and have activated with the purchase. It is normally a yearly subscription.

See links like below:

http://www.absolute.com/

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/services/prosupport/computrace?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

As thesmokingun stated, the American Singles website may have a record of the IP Address that was used for the purchase. If the thieves were not smart enough to use a proxy to hide their real location, that IP address could be used to find where they are.

6. frapper

frapper Private First Class

It's been two weeks since she posted. I wonder if the OP or her son found it? Not likely.

7. whoay35

whoay35 Private First Class

Wow, I hope they got that back, there's nothing worse than losing a machine with a bunch of your personal info and data on it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds