Found New Hardware Wizard

Discussion in 'Software' started by stephan08611, Jan 5, 2010.

1. stephan08611

stephan08611 Private E-2

When I booted up today I got the 'Found New Hardware Wizard' pop-up.
    I didn't install anything new, so I went to Devise Manager and under 'Other Devices' there was a question mark next to PCI Simple Copmunications Controller'. I got the Vendor and Device numbers but couldn't find any info on it.
    After searching for quite awhile I went back to the Device Manager to make sure I had the numbers right and the 'Other Devices' entry was gone. I rebooted and the 'Found New Hardware Wizard' didn't appear. I scanned with both Avast and Malwarebytes earlier today before the Wizard appeared and all was well.
    Everything seems to working fine. Any idea's on what happened?
    Running XP Home. Thanx in advance.

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Have you recently installed a modem or a network card? These will often appear as PCI Simple Communications Controller in device manager till the correct drivers have been correctly installed.

If you haven't, it could be something corrupted a driver and/or it didn't load properly . . . or perhaps such an add-on PCI card is going bad. Since it cleared up on re-boot I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hard to fix it now that it isn't broken, lol.

Could also just have been one of those intermittent software glitches that pop up once and you never see again . . . love those!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

4. stephan08611

stephan08611 Private E-2

Thanx for the speedy replies guys. No, I haven't installed anything at all. I followed the link posted by Studiot and looked in Hidden Devices and it didn't appear so I guess its gone, lol. Thanx again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds