Office 2007: The application has failed to start because the side-by-side config...

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsm555, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

This morning I came into my office to find my pc (p4, win7) apparently in a loop. the cpu usage was very high on all four processors, and the disk usage was high as well. I tried restarting the computer but there was so much cpu usage that I couldn't even type. So after 10 minutes or so, I just pulled the plug.

The first problem was that Norton Internet Security stopped working. After an hour on 'chat' with Symantec, they reloaded the software for me and now NIS is working properly. But I still have (at least) two probems. (1) My RIMDeviceManager fails with an 0xC015002 error, and all my MSOffice 2007 programs fail with "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

I unstalled all the Microsoft C++ programs and then did an MSOffice "repair" and it looks like C++ Redistributable (32 and 64-bit) were re-installed, but Outlook, Excel, etc, still get the same error. Everything I've read about fixing the problem is way over my head (and I'm fairly technical). Does anyone have a clue what I should be tracking down?

2. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

Re: Office 2007: The application has failed to start because the side-by-side config.

I've done some more checking and find that quite a few programs are failing to initialize because of this side-by-side thing: Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements, Cyberlink Power Director 8, Microsoft LifeCam (no error, it just doesn't do anything), FormatFactory - there may be more, I haven't checked them all. Each program fails to initialize with the 'side-by-side configuration' error message. Please help!!

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

5. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

Re: Office 2007: The application has failed to start because the side-by-side config.

OK, here's what I did:

• Did a Repair to Office 2007 Ultimate
      Downloaded and installed vcredist_x86.exe
      Ran System File Checker (sfc /scannow)
      Ran Check Disk (this just took seconds to complete, but I ran it twice, just to be sure - since it was the C: drive, I scheduled it to run at boot time)
      Updated Net Framework (Downloaded and installed 3.5, but I don't see it in the programs list in Control Panel - installed it twice just to be certain)
    I'm afraid I'm at the bitter end of this catastrophe - I just don't know anything else to do, and I'm still getting both the 'side-by-side config error' for MSOffice programs, Adobe programs, Quickbooks Pro and Cyberlink Power Director.

I really, REALLY don't want to have to re-install Windows, but it's looking petty bleak - Anyone have any ideas? Please?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your Win7 fully up to date with updates?

Is Office up to date with all Service Packs?

Do you have any yellow ! marks in Device Manager and if so what?

What security applications do you have installed? please name all? and as a test if you uninstall them all does Office work ok? and more so as you mention other apps are not working ok.

Can also try booting to Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and seeing of Office opens and runs ok?

7. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

As I said, it will be a real mess to re-install Win 7 and all my programs, but I'm getting so behind on my work that I may not have a choice - bummer...

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

9. jsm555

jsm555 Private E-2

Yes, I tried that one also, but no luck. Last night I decided I had to get some work done, so I bought a new hard drive and loaded Win 7. It'll take me a few days to get all my software re-installed, but by having the old hard drive, it's a lot easier re-building.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help - I guess this one was just a really bad crash.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds