Need NEW PC FEEDBACK PLZ

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IcEy-CoLd, Aug 11, 2004.

1. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

Sup all, I am lookin at this PC from Dell.com and i wanted to know if its a good gameing machine, i want to be able to run games on it for the next 2-3 years with no upgrades.. "I know good luck lol"

"why dell? Long story short, i get a nice discount"

Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)
    256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X800 XT
    80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

I am not sure what kinda CDrom I should get, it comes with the 16x DVD-ROM drive, but i don't even think its a burner or that good to run games. but the case and MB said it can hold up to 3 CD drives, so i could get that one, and just add a faster cd rom to run games?
    out of these drives witch one is a smart move you think?

Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive

Single Drive: 48x CD-RW Drive]

Single Drive: 48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive [

Single Drive: 8x DVD+RW Drive

Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) w/double layer write capability

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 8x DVD+RW Drive

Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 8x DVD+RW Drive

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+RW/+R w/ dbl layer write capable

Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+RW/+R w/ double layer write capable

so any feedback would be great, i am not sure about the vid card i heard its not that good, but i think its the best card dell has ATM... i'm just so confused when it comes to buying a PC

thanks

2. JonJonMcKay

JonJonMcKay Private E-2

It seems like a good gaming machine, I think that is one of the best video cards ATI has out at the moment, I heard only good things about it, but correct me if people have also been giving it some bad feedback.

You have a lot of options with the CD Drive .. I'm not sure what your budget is, so could you afford any of the options listed?

3. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

Yea i can get any of the cd drives listed but not sure what the best deal is, when buying a new system i feel tossin 100 bucks extra for something that will be so much better is so worth it when your going to toss down like 1.5k

but about the video card, i heard that the "clock speed" is like slower or something... I am on Farcry sites and DOOM 3 seein what every one has to say about FPS and seems ATI is good... but no so good... but isn't it true no games as of yet go over 125MB or so? so getting 256 would be set for a while?

4. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

/me Drools over the 3.2GHZ and the X800 XT video card...

5. Hax

Hax Private E-2

Yeah dude , that's a good gaming machine. I just have a lowly P4 3.0 Giger with a Radion 9600 and it rocks.

6. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

Cool,glad it looks just about done besides the cd-drive

My freind just got a Radion 9600 about 2 weeks ago or so, and man o man i saw him play UT2004 with it ,and it looked great . Thats why i think this more recent one should preform great, but ever since my frist PC i have always had a BOX that said GeForce... all green and lookin all pretty LOL, I know nothing about ATI... all i know is FarCry+ATI= You'll just Cry..... "thats the best Line i could come up with after sittin here for 5 min watchin southpark... /slapshimself

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I'm pretty sure a 16x DVD-rom drive is equal to a 48x CD-rom drive, if not a little faster. It will handle your games fine. Don't waste your money on a CD-rom drive.

8. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

Sounds good, thanks for all your input. I think i am rdy to order it when i get the discount #, it Comes with 4Fan's and the Vid should have its own FAN, so with 4 fans + 1 on the vid card + a heatsink if this puppy overheats i am gonna cry..... then come post here... but mostly cry lol

9. chopinpl

chopinpl Private E-2

One suggestion, find out what mobo dell is using in that PC. How many SATA channels it has. If it has 2 and supports raid 0/1, add another 80giger in there and stripe that sucker..... Go for the gold.

10. IcEy-CoLd

IcEy-CoLd Private E-2

Could you go more into detail on how to research such things.. here is what i got off the site.Thats the chipset.. i think this is all the info i can get all of the site..i might have to call them to make sure everything is str8, thankis for postin i really wanna get this PC done correctly

: Intel® Pentium® 4 Express Processor with Hyper-Threading Technolgy - 500 Sequence, up to 560 (3.6GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB Cache)
    [​IMG]Intel® 925X Express chipset
    [​IMG]
    8 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 6 back) and front headphone jack
    [​IMG]Convenient front flip covers conceal front I/O ports and drive bays
    [​IMG]3 - 5 1/4" external bays
    [​IMG]3 - HDD bays
    [​IMG]460W power supply
    [​IMG]3 chassis fans for cooling. 2 more dedicated to the power supply.
    [​IMG]Clam-shell design provides easy access. Opens with one latch while in upright position.
    [​IMG]Color coded ports and internal cables simplify service and set up
    [​IMG]Dimensions (H x W x D): 19.3" x 8.7" x 19.2"
    [​IMG]4 PCI slots
    [​IMG]1 PCIe x 1 slot
    [​IMG]1 PCIe x16 (graphics) slot
    Hard Drives[​IMG]Up to 400 GB2 SATA internal storage (single drive) or up to 800GB2 (2 drives x 400 GB) internal RAID storage.
    [​IMG]RAID options: RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 0 (striping) configurations.

11. chopinpl

chopinpl Private E-2

By looking at the specs, you have an onboard SATA RAID controller allowing you to set up RAID 1 OR 0.

RAID 0. Thats striping. You get two identical drives. Anything that you write to the drives gets split up between the two. The benefit of using RAID 0 is that you get very fast throughput, theoretically 300MB/s. Thats fast. Drawbacks would be heat generated (Im assuming). I would consider some form of cooling. Also, one drive fails, you loose all the data. Bummer.

RAID 1 is mirroring. Basically everything you write to one drive gets put on the second drive as well, thus creating a mirror drive. Benefit is that if one drive fails, you have a perfectly good copy of the second. Drawbacks, well its slow.

You win some, you loose some.

P.S. If you going to use WinXp, you can convert your drives to simple volumes and stirpe them through Windows. I dont know how well it works, never tried it. Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds