Problems with Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dhrystone, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Dhrystone

Dhrystone Private E-2

Hi everyone... I'm hoping to find some assistance here, as this problem is driving me insane...

I bought a Linksys 2.4GHz 802.11g broadband wireless router to connect my Dell laptop wirelessly to my Dell Dimension desktop PC. Both are sitting about two feet away from one another right now, so walls, etc. are not an issue.

However, for some reason, the network continually crashes on me several times per day (yesterday, for example, it crashed a total of about 15 times over just a few - 3 or 4 - hours). I've tried changing channels on the settings, etc., and nothing seems to be working.

Also, after shutting down, if I don't boot up for a few days (the laptop), the IP address, default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS server addresses don't seem to save in the TCP/IP settings area.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? This is beyond frustrating, and the folks at Linksys have been no help whatsoever. I don't have to tell you how annoying it is to call Linksys and constantly speak with people in India who I can't understand.

Thanks in advance!

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

4. Groove

Groove Private E-2

Return it to the store, tell them it's faulty and ask for a replacement. That way you can atleast determine whether or not the one you have now is, well, faulty. I've come across 2 routers in the past 3 years that haven't been working properly, I got them replaced and everything was fine. It's worth a shot!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds