'Limited or no connectivity'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Popisdead, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

Hey guys. I have a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO Modem Router and recently I have not been able to connect to it from my laptop. The Belkin Wireless Utility can pick up the signal of the router but is unable to connect saying 'No or limited connectivity'. I've tried various things to solve my problem:
    • reseting router settings
    • reinstalling
    • system restore
    • using the Windows wireless program
    • using a network cable instead of a network card
    • used Spybot, CCleaner etc to check for malware
    But not of these have worked.

I'm not sure what difference this makes but in the Wireless Network Connection Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) window I changed the settings so that it uses the IP address that I type in as opposed to obtaining it automatically and it connects to the router but still not the internet.

I'm pretty sure it's not a fault with the router as my desktop computer which also uses the router works fine.

Also, I don't know if this is purely coincidence but this problem occurred after I first ran AdAware.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

go into command prompt and type ipconfig and tell us what it says in there. that wll gve us a better understanding of whats going on. you probably arent getting an ip from your routers dhcp.

3. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. The ipconfig says :

ethernet adapter wireless connection 6:

connection - specific DNS suffix :
    autoconfiguration ip address : i69.254.25.118
    subnet mast : 255.255.0.0
    default gateway:

It also says the Local area connection and the wireless network connection media are disconnected.

Hope this helps

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

if your desktop is plugged in and works fine, its probably a problem with your wireless NIC. try to disable and renable. did this just start happening? because by the looks of your ip address, youre not getting dhcp from your router.

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

6. Jan.

Jan. Private E-2

7. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

Thanks for your replies but none of these have solved my problem. I don't think it's a problem with the NIC as the problem still persisted when I used a network cable to the router as opposed to the card.

Any more suggestions would be great thanks.

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

did you set the tcp settings back to obtain automaticly?

9. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

Yeah I did and it's still not working

10. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Ok, so yoy are saying you get nothing wired or wireless. Or thats what I am reading. Lets do a test:

1. under tcp/ip settings make sure you have "obtain IP address, and DNS" set to automatic.
    2. Make sure you have a green light "link" light on both your laptop and router port.
    3. at the command prompt type "ipconfig /release"
    4. type "ipconfig /renew
    5. on the PC that is working type "ipconfig /all"

Paste all this in your response.

11. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

Yeh I get nothing wired or wireless.

On the non working laptop, when I type "ipconfig / renew" I get:

"An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 6 : The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Network while it has its media disconnected.
    No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Thanks again for your help.

12. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

And here's a screenshot of the "ipconfig /all" on the working PC

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-07-09

13. Smackums McDuff

Smackums McDuff Private E-2

"Also, I don't know if this is purely coincidence but this problem occurred after I first ran AdAware."

Just a thought, but your winsock might be broken b/c of spyware that you removed with ad-aware. Sometimes if spyware has infected Winsock, and you remove it, it breaks the windows ip stack so that no actual packets pass through - but it seems like you're connected (Limited or No Connectivity designates that you're theoretically part of a network, but there's no traffic, i.e. the 169.*.*.* ASAPI address). That would explain why you're not being assigned an address through DHCP. Look for the programs "Winsockxpfix" or "lspfix" and see if that helps. :major

14. Popisdead

Popisdead Private E-2

Yes! Winsockxpfix worked. Thanks so much for all your help. I can't tell you how grateful I am :D

I would have had no chance of working that out on my own.

Cheers.

15. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

For the record, to reset the winsock in xp sp2, just type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt :) no extra program needed.

16. justjo

justjo Private E-2

You guys are SO awesome. Should've come here first (duh). I had "unable to initialize windows socket interface, error 0". winsock reset didn't work, but wisockxpfix did. Yeah!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds