No Sound / Realtek HD Audio 2.0.9.8 / mobo

Discussion in 'Software' started by gaslight11, Jan 28, 2008.

1. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:majorI have read previous sim. threads, not sure if they apply to my problem. I have had many problems. All starts w/ fried mobo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5yr old system.

New mobo: ASrock Intel Pen 4, ConRoe 1333-D667 (package) w/intergral sound; REALTEK HD AUDIO 2.0.9.8 ?? Driver R 1.47.

Original start up everything OK; sound work fine. Had installed everthing on install CD.

Used old 'C' drive w/ everything as before. Shortly started boot problems.

Installed Viedo Acell Card: Nvidia Geforce Fx5500 256M DDR PCI card
    w/Driver 56.64. Did not use sound for several days; then the "NO SOUND" was realized, may be conflict !!!!!!

Meanwhile; boot problem got worst, no hot reboot (power supply fried & replaced).

Then "blue" screens: 0x0000007F "UNEXPECTED KERNEAL MODE TRAP" these got so frequent ( some 5min or 1hr ). Tried to do a OS repair, system locked up W/ Black Screen & nasty message. Have Backup 2wks old.

Installed new SATA 'C' drive: Did complete clean reinstall W/ Nivida card on mobo. Installed mobo disk 1st them Nivida disk. Now have A---E drives (Old 'C' is now 'E') + have portable 'F' drive as added backup. Have put copies of most install info & Install Shields in seperate folder.

Reinstall from Backups in parts (copy & paste), some from original disk, have most reinstalled w/ Firewall, all security, maint tools, IE6 & OE data restored. Everything is up and running except for some minor progams (need some info on reinstall instructions to run properly).

OS: MS WINDOWS 2000 Professional W/ IE6, OE, SP1, SP4, all 80+/- UPDATES (new install).

Everything is running smoothly, even fast bootup. Still NO SOUND, MS Media Player, Internet Raido, CD Player all are running/playing -- NO SOUND !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have access to Realtek Control Panel, checked volume/no mute,set control on '8CH speakers'. tried various plugs w/ headphones NO SOUND.

Haved Remove & Reinstalled REALTEK drivers, Note / MS Support/updates KB925902 & KB928843, KB928843, KB888111 are installed (do I need KB888111 can it be removed). MS also talks about added update KB928843 for "XP" can I install this, maybe solve problem, MS said this was fix for variouse devices including "Realtek".

Do I have a REGISTRY problem, hate to modify = DANGER !!!!!!

I want too proceed w/ caution, need a coach, need to make sure I can undo anything I change. Has been a struggle, there is a soultion out there, yes !!!

I need more confidence, thanks COACH, I ready to go.

Appreciate your help and guideance.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Good effort with that info! ;)

Your drivers are here:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/from.asp?Model=ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0&s=&T=D&ID=282

I would install the chip set driver: INF_XP64_MCE_XP_2K(8.1.1.1001).zip
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/from.asp?Model=ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0&s=&T=D&ID=282
    Then, re-boot.
    Check your sound. If you have none, re-install the Realtek driver: Realtek_MCE_XP_2K(R1.47).zip
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/from.asp?Model=ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0&s=&T=D&ID=213

If you still don't have sound, I'll need a little info from your Device Manager. Is the Realtek driver showing under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers? Is there a ? or ! next to it? What does it say in properties under the general tab? Is the device enabled?

Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    Click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware-related Pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Whoops, I just noticed this is in the Welcome Center. This thread may get moved.
    And Welcome to MG. :wave

:banghead( I have to start looking at which forum these posts are in! ) :heli

4. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major Thanks for quick response, here goes Q&A:

1. & 2. Downloaded both "Chip Set Driver" & "Realtek Driver" (saved). How & w/ what, do I use to unzipo these files. I have never unzip anything?????

3. Device Manager / info ---- provide after new install ???

4. Attached file: 4 report text ( EVEREST ).

Appreciate your help and guideance. :)

Attached Files:

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First, I shouldn't have started answering you in the Welcome Center, but we have started so hopefully a Mod will move this thread to the Driver Forum. If you can't seem to find it later, look around in that forum.

OK, here is a pretty good app for un-zipping files. Once you install 7-Zip, right click on the .zip file and it should give you the option to open with 7-Zip. Once, you have the file open, look for the setup.exe file and double click it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/7-Zip_d4603.html

Yeah, that will work. It'll save you from posting it twice.

That'll give me some options for drivers and all the hardware info I may need.

I suggested the chipset drivers first because they are needed to get the audio and some of the other hardware drivers to install. If they are corrupted, you will not be able to get your driver installed. Realtek drivers can be a bare to install but I just found a possible fix for that, so bare with me, this may take a few posts to get you hooked up.

6. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major I followed original instructions:

1. & 2. Unzip files, had some trouble get unpacked and finding setup.exe. Installed ea. seperatly, rebooted, test for sound...........still NO SOUND. Install screens look just like my original disk setup.

3. Device Manager: Yes, "Sound,Viedo & Game" shows Realtek HD Audio w/o 'a' or '!' marks. General / Type: Sound,Viedo & Game Controllers
    Mfg: Realtek
    Note in box: This device is working properly
    Useage: Device (enabled)

Everything looks OK, go figure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :(:(

:major Thanks , I await reply.

Appreciate your help and guideance. :(

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Go into Device Manager>System, is the Plug and Play (PnP) Software Device Enumerator listed there?

8. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major YES it is listed.........

NEXT

rolleyes

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm going to back up a little.
    First, are you SURE the speakers are plugged in and in the right jack?
    Second, is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find Windows Audio
    Open up Windows Audio by double clicking
    Make sure it is running, if not, click on Start.
    Third, check in BIOS that your onboard sound is enabled or on Auto.
    If these are all OK, then try this.
    Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it.
    Install your audio driver, then re-boot.

If that doesn't work:
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
    * Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
    * Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

10. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

Answer:
    1./2. NO "Windows Audio Service" listed. There are 4 other "Window" items listed ???

3. ONBOARD SOUND
    BIOS/CHIP CONFIG : Onbard Board Audio = Auto
    Front Panel = Auto
    CD-IN = Enabled
    On Board Lan = Enabled
    ????? Where to now...............

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

12. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

REPLY #2 to THREAD #10:

Alt. Method / "If that doesn't work"

1. I found a sim. file (think it is the one) ???
    C:\WINNT\inf\machine = NOTEPAD w/ line 20 "ExcludeFromSelection =*"
    2. Divice Manager: Finally got to "Have Disk" and "Browse"; I can Install my modified Notepad file from there.

Did I find the right thing, it looks good, just my MENU verbage is a little different !!!!
    Should I proceed w/ this method ????

Thanks , I await your reply.

Appreciate your help and guideance.

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, that should work. It's just the slight difference in OS.
    I'm working too many OS's right now. I worked on my wife's XP, removing viruses, reinstalled XP for my step-daughter, working on other threads with Vista, XP, 2000, and 98, and I'm on Vista. :foolishLosing track of who's who.:heli But we'll get it yet, I hope.

14. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major I tried 2x--ALT. METHOD-- from THREAD #10. Did not work, I dont think the "P&P Emul driver" changed. ???:eek:

Should I go ahead w/ the Intel chipset driver---
    INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 3, 900 Series Chipsets
    you suggested in THREAD #12

Or do you have any new instructions.

:major the solution is near !!!!!

Apprecate the effort :)

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, I thought you had tried that already. Make sure to reboot and then install the audio driver.

Did you try everything else I've suggested? It looks like you did after looking back through the thread.
    PS. Did you know smoking is bad for you? :major

16. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major I believe that done I all the above, checked speaker plugs w/headphones, set on 8CH and checked all. Tried CD & Radio ............... No Sound.:( Maybe made mistakes !!!!:eek::eek:

Did INTEL chip set, reinstalled new download REALTEK Audio Driver.

:major what next, is it a MS thing w/ updates; see my 1st post........

This boot & reboot gets old but got to solve this one.

:majorThanks
    :confused:confused:confused

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I did see the updates you spoke of. Un-installing the Realtek folders is supposed to also take care of this update: KB888111
    Just to be sure, I didn't see a response to this:
    Did you do this step?

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Actually, after looking back through, I don't understand what is wrong. Way back this is what you said. and if it is still saying that, we have an issue that I don't understand.

I do see in the Everest report, that it shows the Realtek driver and says the codec is unknown. I went to Intel, looked at the boards with your chipset and they use Sigmatel drivers. So in desperation, guess what? Uninstall the Realtek driver, and install this one.
    Audio: Sigmatel 9220/9221/9223

19. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major DID all of items in Thread #17:
    Had not done the UAA HD BUS before; still have KB888111.
    What/Where is AAU or did you mean UAA. System had me reinstall UAA HD BUS.
    Reinstalled all, I feel like maybe Iam not doing this right, dumb ??:(:(

:major I will go ahead with install "SIGMATEL"driver inplace of Realtek driver

Maybe its a bad mobo ????? New but can it be tested ????

20. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major:majorPROBLEM: Tried to install "SIGMATEL"
    Removed only the Realtek Audio Driver in Divice Mgr.
    Reboot sys ask wants to install Realtek Diver....Canceled.....Then went to SIGMATEL Install Shield:started install got MESSAGES.... Overwrite Protection/files exist: C:\Program Files\Intel Desktop Boards\Audio\DISK1\dat1.cab ??? "overwrite; yes to all" when I go next, I get "Object not present" EXTRACTION STOPS/cold.

HELP I don't know about this ?????:(:(:(:(

21. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Bad choice I made. Get rid of the Sigmatel!
    Sorry, but Intel uses them on their boards with your chipset and you have the Ihtel Chipset, but obviously not Sigmatel. Had to give it a try.
    Nothing else is working.

Back to the fix in #17. This is the whole fix. Follow it step by step.
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select any sound device listed here (if any) and click the Remove button
    You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well. (You may not have one but look)
    Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it.
    Install your Realtek driver, then re-boot.

22. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major I did #21 (fix in #17):

1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working).... DONE
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.... DONE (*none to remove)
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers....DONE
    4) Click on the Properties tab. ....DONE
    5) Select any sound device listed here (if any) and click the Remove button....DONE (****LEGACY had 4 sub cat. w/ 10+type lines ea."did not count" / REMOVED all / after reboot (now) 4 sub cat. w/ 10 type lines****)
    *6) You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well. (You may not have one but look) ....YES (*have)....DONE
    *7) Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver. Disable the device and then uninstall it.....DONE (*returned w/ reboot)
    *8) Install your Realtek driver....DONE (*installed from previous download, Install Shield; all indications it is running /have icon in tray, checked settings)

*9) then re-boot....DONE (****P R O B L E M....got "BLUE SCREEN"....
    STOP 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x8042D82B)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    ***address 8042D82B base at 0840000
    Date Stamp 45ec3c8f-ntoskrn.exe
    Memory Dump...........****P R O B L E M****) reboot OK.

*10) After all this WINDOWS Media Player does not reconize Audio CD's.....MESSAGE = (2 menu) File Scheme not Reconized + Cannot Play 0xC00D1196 : cannot play......
    NO SOUND check w/WIN Med Plyr....??? How can I check audio ???

*11) UNINSTALLED/REINSTALLED: WMPlayer 9 from MS updated, did not change anything. Viedo does play.....

*12) DID chkdisk & scandisk (did not watch all time / ?? did it fix anything ??)

HELP I don't know about this ????? Solution :eek::eek::eek: :(:(:(
    Can this be fixed....Everything else seem to be running fine....need check anything else ???

See Ya Soon :confused:confused:confused

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I am not sure why you got that boot error, but am going to look into it.
    Does this mean you have sound now, but just problems with WMP?

When you look in My Computer does your CD/DVD player show there?
    Check WMP Tools>Options>Devices. Does your CD/DVD player show there?
    Have you associated all the files you want to play with WMP?

I don't know much about WMP because I don't use it.
    This is what MS says about (Cannot Play 0xC00D1196) Does this make any sense to you?
    C00D1196: Incorrect user name or password
    The user name or password might be incorrect. To access a file that is located on a restricted network, you must supply a user name and password for the network domain. Ensure that the user name and password that you are using are spelled correctly and are recognized by the network domain. It is not sufficient to use a user name and password for a local system account, which provides access to your computer but not the network.

I would make sure your music/video files are all associated with WMP. If that doesn't help, uninstall it again.
    Run CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry options.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html
    Then re-install WMP.

If you do have sound now and just problems with WMP, I would start a new thread, because I'm not going to be much help for that. ;)

24. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major Reply to #23

1) YES have 2 PROBLEMS:
    I still have NO SOUND, no way to check w/o WMP, use for cd play, internet radio, mp3-have not reinstalled iTunes. Checked 3 radio stations w/ diferent formats, they connect-look like playing-promo come up-time meter is counting. I use to get chime when WIN started but not now. I don't know easy to check sound ??

2) YES : My Computer does show CD/DVD.
    YES : WMP Tools>Options>Devices. CD/DVD player + Speakers are shown.
    YES : Have associated all the files WMP. Maybe Mp3 files, can't access w/o iTunes-need to reinstall ??? Use WMP for Radio, CDplay, Viedo.

3) DON'T USE PASSWORD, Iam the only User & Admistrator, so no password required, just leave blank on setup. Have not setup pasword for any other user. (Cannot Play 0xC00D1196) Can't get pass this message "File not reconized" Does not make any sense, have not seen before, untill after this last go-around ??? DON'T use network --- this is a new complete install W2K pro, does not ask for user name and password ??? On STARTUP I do not use password nore am I asked for one (becaues I did not use one for original install setup).

4) THINK THEY ARE : music/video files are all associated with WMP. Tried to play CD that I have played many times.

5) WMP UNINSTALLED : Ran CCleaner, both the Cleaner and Registry options.
    ( CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html ).....DONE (Registry cleared a Great number of items)

6) WMP REINSTALLED : Through MS updates w/ updates.

7) REBOOTED : WMP, Check--tried CD (same message), 3 radio stations all connect & indicate playing (no sound).

Still NO SOUND & same WMP problem, looks like no improvement or solution.

:major I don't know what to do ????? NO Solution
    Could it be the mobo, can it be tested, Can SOUND be fixed by installing additional Sound Card ??? What caused the WMP problem, not read Audio CD ??? ....Everything else seem to be running fine....need check anything else ??? :confused:confused:confused

Await your next step, I think still running on that new Chip Driver, does that matter.
    :(:(:(

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

There is something not right, somewhere.
    First, can you restore back to before the my botched Sigmatel suggestion? (I don't think that's it, but we need to be sure)
    Second, do you have a recovery disc/partition or Win2000 disc?
    If you have one of the 3, insert the disc if you have it. (Close any prompts to run setup)
    Go to Start>Run and type cmd.exe
    Press Enter
    In the command window type sfc /SCANNOW
    Press Enter
    This will run the System File Checker and compare your Windows files against good Windows files and then repair or replace any damaged or missing ones.
    Then it would be a good idea to run Spybot or another good malware scanner to make sure you are clean. Make sure to update it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

I know this a fairly fresh install, but you never said if you wiped the original C: drive and you did say you moved files or copies of files into other folders. If you accidentally moved something or if malware is present, that could be the whole problem.

26. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major Reply to #25

1) WHERE ARE WE ???: I tried to review the pass threads; we have done and repeated many similar things; I looked at #20 where I tried SIGMATEL, it stoped cold and did not extract, could not proceed, I Don't believe it did anything.

At this time Iam not sure what the protacal should be. We may be OK or should we just start over ????

2) YES : I have Win2000 disc. Ran sfc /SCANNOW ...Sys File Checker....DONE

3) SPYBOT : I have Spybot. Updated & ran Spybot....DONE (NO threat found)

4) NEW : C drive was new sealed out of the box. It was setup & formated as papt of Win 2000 install. YES I moved files from a backup disc to new disc. I run SPYBOT weekly. In my #1 Thread I said I had the PROBLEM prior to new install on the clean C drive; think I lost sound sometime after installing NVIDIA Geforce Fx5500 Viedo Accelerator on old system (see #1 Thread).

:major Await your next step :(:(:(
    The SOLUTION is near :):):)

27. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, I know we hopped around a bit and tried some things that were near repeats of others, but these tricks have worked for others.
    I wanted you to run the SFC because it should have fixed WMP if it was affected some how through all this.
    I would temporarily download another media player to see if your sound works in it now or after the fixes below. I use Winamp, so if there is a problem in it we can compare notes. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Winamp_5_Full_d2490.html
    I wanted to make sure you were clean of any obvious malware. It only takes one wrong click to get some nasty.
    I'm going to throw some things at you that all apply to Win2000 audio problems. These are separate fixes, so check your sound after each one. Let me know if you get sound and which fix did it

1) Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control.
    a).In Volume Control, on the Options menu, click Advanced Controls.
    b) Click Advanced Options on the Play Control dialog box
    c) Click to clear the Digital Output Only check box, and then click Close.

2) To install the updated driver:
    a) Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and then click Hardware.
    b) Click Hardware Wizard, click Next, click Add/Troubleshoot a device, and then click Next.
    c) Click Add a new device, click Next, and then click Next.
    d) In the Hardware types box, click Sound video and game controllers, and then click Next.
    e) In the Manufacturers box, click the manufacturer of your sound card, click the appropriate model in the Models box, and then click Next.
    f) Click Next
    g) Verify the resources for your sound card are correct, click OK, and then click Finish.
    h) Click Yes to restart your computer.

3) The Realtek mixer in the task bar.
    Set it to coincide with speaker configuration.
    You said you are using the 8-channel selection. Are you using 8-channel speakers?

4) Services (Not sure if these apply to Win2000)
    a) Go to: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Component Services>Services. Make sure audio is enabled.
    b) Go to: Start>Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>Services>Windows Audio. Make sure "Windows Media" service is running. If it's not, right click on this service and select "Start".
    c) Go to: Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Device Properties. Be sure that the "Mute" checkbox is unchecked.

I know that's a lot but I dug up everything I could find in one sitting. (These are now added to my ever growing list)

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

In Device Manager>System is there a "Realtek High Definition Audio controller?

29. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major REPLY to #27

DOWNLOAD : Winamp….DONE ( no help) set as default, the meter indicates cd – radio – itunes MP3 do all play but no sound. I did clear error in WMP (now recognizes CD) Had to manually remove files left after ‘add/remove’ run then did complete reinstall.

1---4) separate fixes, check sound after each one. got NO SOUND w/these exercises !!!!!!

1) Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control. ….TRIED (advance not available) Realtek HD Audio output (shown a bottom).
    a).In Volume Control, on the Options menu, click Advanced Controls….NONE
    b) Click Advanced Options on the Play Control dialog box….NONE
    c) Click to clear the Digital Output Only check box, and then click Close….NONE

2) To install the updated driver: …… Did this & ‘Bad News’, not good procedure: I did not realize what happened: just added 2nd Realtek driver causing conflict (part ‘c’); got BLUE SCREEN on restart. MESSAGE…..0x0000001E(……..) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (part) “If driver is identified, disable driver or check for update. Try changing video adapter. Check for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. May need to use Safe Mode to restart”….?

??? This may be a clue to the problem ??? NO SOUND

!!!! Ended up doing a system repair, just could not get fixed in Safe Mode, this did take some time, “Removed 2 Audio drivers and all Realtek files, then reinstalled Realtek from original disk !!!!

a) Right-click My Computer, click Properties, and then click Hardware….DONE
    b) Click Hardware Wizard, click Next, click Add/Troubleshoot a device, and then click Next….DONE
    c) Click Add a new device, click Next, and then click Next….DONE
    d) In the Hardware types box, click Sound video and game controllers, and then click Next….DONE
    e) In the Manufacturers box, click the manufacturer of your sound card, click the appropriate model in the Models box, and then click Next….DONE
    f) Click Next….DONE
    g) Verify the resources for your sound card are correct, click OK, and then click Finish….DONE
    h) Click Yes to restart your computer….DONE = “Blue Screen” NO SOUND

3) The Realtek mixer in the task bar......
    Set it to coincide with speaker configuration….DONE set for 2 speakers, “used Green outlet, switched around when checking” NO SOUND

4) Services (Not sure if these apply to Win2000)…… “Different setup”
    a) Go to: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Component Services>Services. Make sure audio is enabled…..NOT FOUND
    b) Go to: Start>Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>Services>Windows Audio. Make sure "Windows Media" service is running. If it's not, right click on this service and select "Start"….NOT FOUND
    c) Go to: Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Device Properties. Be sure that the "Mute" checkbox is unchecked….FOUND “Sound & Multimedia” Audio=REALTEK, Volume=Master Control w/ all MUTE boxes unchecked….DONE

:major REPLY to #28

In Device Manager>System is there a "Realtek High Definition Audio controller?....YES.... under "Sound, Video & Game Cotrollers" (6 listed); "REALTEK HD AUDIO" the 5th one in list. Says that it is working.....

Still NO SOUND, did not change a thing, system back to original setup ???
    Software may be OK; Hardware may be BAD !!!!!!!!!!

:major The solution is near !!!!!

Apprecate the effort :):(:):(:)

30. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, hopefully I just found the problem. rolleyes
    These are the steps you said you performed with the UAA HD. If you actually did it this way, you re-installed the UAA before installing the Realtek driver. Make sure to dis-able and unininstall the UAA, then install the driver, THEN re-boot.

Again the steps are:
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select any sound device listed here (if any) and click the Remove button

Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. Don't re-boot yet.
    Install your Realtek driver, then re-boot.

31. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major REPLY to #30

Steps performed with the UAA HD. Made sure to dis-able and uninstall the UAA, then install the REALTEK driver, THEN re-boot….DID BELOW…. “Had problems on re-boot”.:(:eek::(:eek::eek:

Steps are:
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)…..DONE
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers…..NONE LISTED
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers……DONE
    4) Click on the Properties tab….DONE
    5) Select any sound device listed here (if any) and click the Remove button…..DONE...."Note: 4 device levels shown w/ 15 devices, removed all. After reboot checked & 8 devices returned on each level ???".

6) Go into Device Manager, under the System folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver. Disable the device and then uninstall it….. DONE

7) Installed Realtek driver……DONE…. “had some problem w/ wizzard, but did reinstall from my original install disk”.

8) Re-booted….. THINGS STARTED TO HAPPEN. WIZZARD then came up (just proceeded per menu ??) INSTALLING…..REALTEK ????....... then PCI…… then MS UAA BUS....wizzard asked to locate device, found on CD, asked for.... MS UAA BUS DRIVER, installation DISK #1....( I don’t have, tried all related setup disk, no success). How do I get the UAA HD Audio ????

9) CHECKED: Went back & checked everything seems to be back except the UAA Bus Driver, its lost ????, how do I find ????.

10) Did sound check: NO SOUND……used winamp.

:major WHAT NEXT!!!!HELP...............:(:(

32. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

33. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major Reply #32

I downloaded the file you gave me, got mobo icon and folder on my desktop. I opened folde and used "SETUP" to install. It loaded a bunch of REALTK files ??? Re-booted. Install wizzard installs "UAA HD Audio Bus" does same as before, ask for location, ask to laod from CD ??? How do I get around this???

Confused, don't know!!!! :(:eek::(:eek:

34. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I just had a thought. Try Windows update (if it still supports Win2K) and check for updates. If it finds you some, look to see if one of them is KB888111. If it is there, download and install it that way.

If that doesn't get it to you, then try this:
    I don't know the exact steps for Win2000, but start the Hardware Wizard, tell it you want to manually install, when you see "Have Disc", click it and then browse to where you have the folder. The path inside the folder is:
    MSHDQFE > Win2K3 > us> kb888111srvrtm.exe
    or
    MSHDQFE > Win2K_XP > us > kb888111w2ksp4.exe

It depends on whether you have all the SP's for Win2K. If you are fully updated, then use the second.

35. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

:major REPLY to #34

Got UAA BUS reinstalled, used : MSHDQFE > Win2K_XP > us > kb888111w2ksp4.exe........

CHECKED: Went back & checked everything seems to be back, as discribed in previous Reply #31.

Did sound check: NO SOUND……used winamp.

:major WHAT NEXT!!!!HELP...............:(:(:eek::eek::(:(

36. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't know what else to do. I've scoured the 'net and there are no suggestions to fix your sound beyond what we have tried.
    You may have lost your sound because of a burnt out chip. I would hate to suggest getting a new sound card and have you run into the same issues, but you may have to do that.

Or there is something wrong with your speakers.
    Did I have you try earphones? I don't remember seeing that in the thread.
    Are the speakers plugged in and powered on?
    Do they work on another PC?

37. gaslight11

gaslight11 Private E-2

REPYL to #36 :

:major I agree; I don't know; may be burnt out chip audio is on motherboard.

1) Think speakers OK !!!!
    I did earphones = NO SOUND
    Speakers are plugged in and powered on.... YES
    They do work on a RAIDO I tried.....YES

2) I have checked on internet and found Intel Troubleshooting Audio for my mobo; all same as what we have tried.

3) Also found that others have trouble w/ onboard REALTEK; 2 gave up and went to 3rd party audio install that works....THIS MAY BE AN OPTION !!!

4) My choice is to take my PC to the vendor where I got the new Motherpoard, the said they would run dionostic. After all your effort the Sound Card on the Mobo / all one product or the BIOS may be the solution; mobo is under warranty.........

I THANK YOU for the assistance and guidance. I gained knowledge. Thanks for the DOWNLOADS and Site refferals.

WE are at a stopping point; anymore THOUGHTS ????

:major THANKS again ;):cool:cool:wave:wave

38. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

No, no more thoughts. This one got the best of me. :cry I have been thinking that it could be a burnt chip, too, but most of the stuff I read says that is seldom the problem. Doesn't rule it out though. If you get it sorted out, without installing a card, I would appreciate you posting back and letting me know what it was. Good luck with a cheap fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds