Internet Connection Speed issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by pparring, Mar 14, 2006.

1. pparring

pparring Private E-2

Hi all,
    I am having issues with my SBC/Yahoo DSL internet connetion that I can't figure out. In the past, when the speed would get slow I would reboot, turn off and unplug the modem for 2 min and then restart everything.
    This no longer works.
    I have run CC cleaner, antivirus and Spysweep.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S127 laptop with Intel Celeron 2G processor, 256 memory.
    My connection speed appears to be anywhere from 36-54 Mbps based on the popup sceen when I click on my connection icon, however when I try to download the speed is actually as low as 9 Kbps, this is subdialup speed!
    I can't figure it out.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

the 36-54 MBps you are seeing is merely your wireless G connection with your router, and is only applicable for your local home network. the router holds the actual connection to the internet through the modem, which through DSL should be around 1.5 MBps maximum (1500KBit/s) = 187.5 kbytes/second

if you're never seeing speeds close to this, then you may have a problem. slow speeds are very often just slow websites or servers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds