Windows Continuously Asking to Activate

Discussion in 'Software' started by dnovalkowski, Jan 16, 2007.

1. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

Hello.

I am currently doing some computer work for someone which involves upgrading them from Win98 to WinXP Home. I have installed WinXP twice already after reformating the drive (including deleting and creating a new partition) and after bootup, the machine asks me to activate. So I do, then it says "Thank you, successfully activated blah blah blah. Then immediately after, its asks me to reactivate. The copy of XP is OEM.

Any idea whats going on?

Dan

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

OEM, provided by who?

Post what the front of the CD says in its entirety, verbatim.

3. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

The CD says Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
    Includes Service Pack 2 Version 2002.
    For distribution with a new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC.
    Do not lend or make illegal copies of this software..

I think thats about all the important stuff.

I purchased it through an online retailer that I buy things through all the time. As far as I know, they aren't doing anything illegal.

On the note of illegal software, what really, is the deal with the rule that hardware must be sold with OEM software???

Dan

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

For upgrading, it should be either retail or and upgrade cd.

For OEM it should be for ALL NEW hardware.

5. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

Even though I reformatted and repartitioned, I should have used an upgrade or retail CD?

Dan

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm just talking (typing) legality.

OEM is for NEW computers.

Retail is for already owned computers.

But, once again, it is odd that ye have to activate twice. On the 2nd activation, call MS and go that route.

7. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

Actually, I did. I spent time talking to the computer that guides you through the process, and same thing happened.

Dan

8. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

Wondering if this has a connection...

During system boot up, I get an error message saying something to the effect of a 2f8 IRQ conflict. I understand this to mean something with the keyboard. Is my machine typing something at some point that it shouldn't?

A suggestion.

Thanks for the hand so far folks.

Dan

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

USB or PS2 keyboard?

If ye are ye using USB try PS2.

10. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

PS2 Older keyboard sure enough but its PS2.

Dan

11. dnovalkowski

dnovalkowski Private E-2

Any other ideas as to whats going on?

Dan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds