Compaq Presario BIOS setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by JimU, Mar 12, 2004.

1. JimU

JimU Private E-2

Hello,

I installed XP Pro and SP 1 on a neighbor's older 500mhz Compaq. All is working o.k. except it gives a "shutdown" message much like those we were used to seeing on Win95 ie; "o.k. to shut down your computer....etc." I found no help in the BIOS and I also tried changing the Power Mgmt. settings in control panel to "never" shut down anything automatically. This didn't work either. They are forced to reach around in back of the computer and shut down the main switch.

If you used the switch in the front, you must hold it in for 3 or 4 seconds and then it will shut down but not completely. After about 10 minutes, it re-boots again.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    JimU :rolleyes:

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Hi Jim
    unfortunately Compaq Bios offer very little user based options,the general bios option for this is under the power management options listed quite blatantly as Power Button Function. So if you cant see it then its obviously not available (typical compaq) :rolleyes:

On your desktop power management settings there is an advanced tab, referring to the power button you can check that but i wouldnt hold out much hope

You could try the manufactors website and see if there is a new bios available which may or may not have more options

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

XP and 500 MHZ has to be a dog, I put it on my 700 mhz laptop, but had to upgrade ram to 384 megs. Win 98 is your best move. Odds are there is a bios update at compag, but probably from 3-5 years ago a nd wont be much help. You MIGHT find similar questions on the Compaq help or forums as well.

4. JimU

JimU Private E-2

Hey! "Thanks" to all for your input. I wasn't holding my breath on this one.

Bottom line is, the folks I just did this for aren't too concerned about the inconvenience and are happy with XP. I did have them order two more RAM sticks however so they'll be "maxed-out" at 384.

Thanks again.

JimU

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds