computer connect to wrong wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roberts663, Feb 4, 2007.

1. roberts663

roberts663 Private E-2

Hello,
    My computer keeps connecting to a wireless connection that it isn't supposed to connect to. I currently have WEP enabled, preferred networks list has only my network on it, IEEE 802.1x is disabled and automatic connection is checked when it is in range. I have a netgear WGR614v6 router and I want to set it up so that I ONLY connect to that, or deny connecting to the wireless network it tries to connect to sometimes. Is it possible somone could be tricking my computer into attempting to connect to their network? The network it is attempting to connect to has a very suspicious name.
    Thanks

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

a trick i used to use, may work for you. Assuming that other connection has wep or wpa, try connect and put in a wrong password, thusly it will skip over that network.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you have your own WEP, and your list of preferred is cleaned it would not connect unless you force it.

However, in order to be safe install Software Firewall on your computers and allow the Trusted Zone only to your IP range ( http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted ).

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Meh well i had a similar issue with a customer, and it wasn't in the prefence pane, my steps fixed it from continusouly popping up anyhow. So its worth a try.

5. roberts663

roberts663 Private E-2

it seemed to work for awhile, but it went back to connecting to the other network "pirateghost", I'm trying the product now, thank you for the tips :)

6. roberts663

roberts663 Private E-2

trying Zonealarm...seems like an easy to use program and it's free too! anyone have any other suggestions that gives better protection?

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Private E-2

I had a consulting assignment where users were connecting to the wrong WiFi network. Customer was a school where the content was heavily filtered. Kids connecting to the "wrong SSID" cound access all the "wrong content". Surfed the web and found a product called Airstop Wireless. Was able to keep all students on filtered network and off of other networks. If you Google Airstop Wireless I'm sure you can find it. Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds