DVD not playing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Computer Acolyte, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Computer Acolyte

Computer Acolyte Private First Class

Now when I try to play a DVD on my computer with Media Player I get the following message: Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.
    When I use Real Player I get this message: The DVD cannot be played. Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed.

The only thing that changed is that I updated my GPU drivers about 4 days ago. This is the frst time I tried to play a DVD since, so it makes sense that this might have something to do with it. However, rolling back the drivers didn't help.

I used to have some problem with a LEAD codec, but unfortunately I can't remember which codec it was referring to, and it seems to be resolved now after I installed the XP Codecs and All in 1 pack from free-codecs.com, however the DVD still won't work.

And no, it's not just this one DVD, and yes it did work before.

I have Windows XP, Media Player 11, and GeForce 7600GS

2. Shark007

Shark007 Private E-2

I have a suggestion for you.

UNINSTALL ALL CODEC related installations from add/remove programs.
    Look carefully, and get them all. QuickTime and RealPlayer too. Reboot.

Now install the Vista Codec Package available from MajorGeeks' Frontpage.

Don't let the name fool you, it's 100% Windows XP compatible.

Shark007, VCP developer.

3. Computer Acolyte

Computer Acolyte Private First Class

Hey it works! Thanks.

4. Shark007

Shark007 Private E-2

Glad to hear it. Be sure to pass on the information of what a properly built codec package can do for you. :cool

Shark007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds