WIN RAR forgotten password

Discussion in 'Software' started by teresofblood, Sep 6, 2007.

1. teresofblood

teresofblood Private E-2

I created an archive a while back and forgot about it. I gave the file to a friend and it has a password. I can't remember the password. Its a long password w/ letters, numbers and I think 1 symbol. I think I remember one of the words in it. Is there a program in which i can enter the word I remember and see if it will work around that?

Most other WinRAR crackers can't crack passwords this strong. Thanks in advance.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It seems that you're familiar with password crackers, so you probably know that you're SOL ($h!t Outta Luck). As far as I know (and I did some extensive RAR password research a few months ago for a similar situation) there is really nothing you can do.... ;( :cry
    Sorry.

hd2k
    There's the chance that I'm wrong (it's happened before ;) ), and someone will come along with some helpful info for you. Cross your fingers!

3. teresofblood

teresofblood Private E-2

Does anyone know of a professional hacker or something who can crack it manually. There's gotta be a way.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have not tried these, but if its that necessary.
    http://www.forensic-computing.ltd.uk/password_recovery.htm
    I am also looking up my old stuff, as , recently, I had to crack all the passwords on a computer, for a badly infected drive, for reinstallation purposes, and I am digging through my cd's to try and find the program that I used.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I read the same thing in a WinRar tutorial. It said once a WinRar archive password is forgotten, that the file can not be decrypted. It was a warning against just this sort of thing.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Hopperdave says, difficult to say the least, with RAR.

7. teresofblood

teresofblood Private E-2

Perhaps I can just hold on to the files for a couple years in hopes that someday there is a version that can crack strong passwords from this version of WinRAR.

It doesn't suck for me so much as it sucks for my friend. Plus its my own stupidity for setting a 15 character password and not writing it down.

8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Perhaps I can just hold on to the files for a couple years in hopes that someday there is a version that can crack strong passwords from this version of WinRAR. <<

Sorry to hear about this happening to you and your friend. There are a few things you can do to avoid this happening in the future. One would be to get yourself a nice and secure password collector type of program.

You might consider checking out the password program called Access Manager. With Access Manager you can keep all your passwords in one safe place with easy access to them - (you only need to remember ONE password to get into the program).

And even if you forget your Master Password or accidentally delete a security component you can contact the company for help at: AccessManager@Citi-Software.co.uk.

Access Manager is also available in 2 editions; Freeware as well a Professional Edition with more bells and whistles and there is free help and support for both. I've used the freeware Access Manager for years which is free for personal, non-commercial use.

The program is quite handy, uses almost no system recourses and the developer will actually respond quickly to e-mails. Last time I checked the program was available as freeware. It was easy to install and use. Read the help files thoroughly, so that you can get the most out of it... Good luck!

9. teresofblood

teresofblood Private E-2

I think I found the archive burnt onto a CD, before I had WinRAR, and before the password. I haven't checked yet. Thanks for the help guys. I learned my lesson!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds