Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Discussion in 'Software' started by Endtroducing, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Endtroducing

Endtroducing Private E-2

I've noticed some other people have gotten this error, but I read some of their descriptions and none seem to have much to do with my symptoms.

I get this Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error after I unplug my AC Adapter, External Soundcard (SoundBlaster 24-bit), external HDD, and Razer mouse. I haven't been able to narrow it down to a specific device that may be responsible for causing the error.

Event viewer reads:
    The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Once I get that error I have to restart my computer where it works perfectly. Does anyone know what's going on? I've run Virus checks on both my local HDD and my external HDD using PC-Cillin's online service and both tests supposedly eliminated any threats.

Vaio VGN-FZ180U
    Windows XP Pro SP2

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

While Remote Procedure Call terminations have often been associated with the blaster worm, I really doubt that it is your problem especially since it only occcurs when you take a particular action to unplug power to a hardware device. And also you are running SP2. I'm going to move this to the Software Forum but it could wind up in the Hardware Forum.

3. Endtroducing

Endtroducing Private E-2

Yes I am using SP2. Should I post a HiJackThis log?

4. Endtroducing

Endtroducing Private E-2

I've seemed to have narrowed it down to when I remove my external-HDD it seems to give me this error. Is there something wrong with my E-HDD?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did your external hdd come with automatic backup software? If so, that might be what is running and removing the drive gives the error. To avoid the error, remove the drive after you've shut down the computer.

6. Endtroducing

Endtroducing Private E-2

I formatted the HDD to NTFS, so as far as I know there's no software that runs automatically when I unplug the drive. I'll try unplugging the drive after I put the PC to sleep.

7. Endtroducing

Endtroducing Private E-2

Putting the PC into sleep then unplugging doesn't seem to work either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds