Random Shutdowns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brandontrujillo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. brandontrujillo

brandontrujillo Private E-2

I get random shutdowns in game.

It does not restart but simply shut down. I can immediately restart the computer and it will boot right up so I thought it was overheating. I run CPUID well i play games and every now and then i will minimize and get a quick reading of temps ( all temps seem pretty normal for full load)

Note: So far I only seem to get these "crashes" when playing COD4 or America's Army 2.8.5 I haven't tried any other games yet but crysis is next on my list.

My recent changes include moving my computer to a different room, which could mean a bad plug in the wall this is an old house. I am going to try a different outlet in a different room to see if that's the problem. But i don't think it is because if i just surf the net and not play any 3D games it wont shut down. This means Power Supply Processor or Video Card to me.

I did just RMA my EVGA 8800 Ultra because the old one died due to overheating and overclocking stress from the kid who gave it to me.

I ran memtest to ensure it Was NOT the RAM.

Specs:
    EVGA 780i mobo
    EVGA 8800 Ultra vid card
    Xeon e3110 3.0 GHz duo-core processor
    2 x 1 gig patriot 800 mhz RAM (4x4x4x12)

I think I'm going to try some new thermal paste and cleaning the heatsink it could be the processor overheating some how but like i said all temps look normal.

IDLE TEMPS:
    processor core 0 & 1 ~ 37 degrees Celsius
    Mobo ~ 39 degrees Celsius
    Vid card ~ 59 degrees Celsius

*stays pretty cool honestly not bad i doubt its heat ???????

TEMPS UNDER LOAD:
    processor core 0 & 1 ~ doesnt go over 45 degrees Celsius
    Mobo ~ stays pretty much the same ~ 40 degrees Celsius
    Vid card ~ Anywhere from 60 to 70+ ??? degrees Celsius (but I doubt that it's really a problem i can always manually put the fan on a higher speed with "evga precision")

i really think its bad wall outlet or Power supply but oh yeah my power supply

1,000 Ultra PSU was very expensive brand new i think its fine idK??

I'M just lookin for what to try next to fix this stupid problem theres always something...

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What windows version and ist it fully upto date?

Have you updated the nvidia drivers to latest version?

In Event Viewer are their any error references at the time of these crashes? (Application or System lists)

3. brandontrujillo

brandontrujillo Private E-2

Windows XP pro version 2002 SP3

fully up to date

drivers up to date

no error in event viewer (app or sys)

but it stopped happening i been playing other games and not happining... i took the side of my case off and maybe it really was overheating somehow IDK THIS SUCKS there are too many variables to isolate the problem

i still have so much trouble with COD4 it starts artifacting and crashing my system and so many stupid errors ... i will post back after testing putting my case back together and stressing system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds