I've forgotten how to use M$ Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Oct 29, 2004.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It has been over 2 1/2 years since I last used Outlook 2000.

My specs

Gateway Solo 9300 laptop, W98SE, P2/400, 288mb RAM (maxed out) IE6, AOL UK V7.0, Internal V90 dialup modem, 30gig hard drive and 10 gig hard drive, DVD/CD player internal, optional 120mb and 1.44 mb floppies, plenty of room on hard drives.

My Outlook 2000 is part of M$ Office 2000 suité.

My questions are:

(1) I use AOL v7 :p (yeh I know-- it will be dumped soon), to connect to the net. AOL uses IE as a base. Do I need to run IE separately to use Outlook.

(2) I have typed and "sent" 2 emails as trial via Outlook. They appear in my "Outbox" as 2 sent but I i did not see any computer action happening when I "sent" them.

(3) Should they transfer from "Outbox" to "Sent items", when thay are "sent".

(4) Do I have to have Outlook Express installed. I deleted it ages ago as I couldn't see the point of having both Outlook and Outlook Express loaded.

Please refresh my memory. Thanks folks. Bazza

2. 44039

44039 Private First Class

1) No. Outlook is independant of IE
    2) Don't understand the question. Outlook will send them next time it checks for new mail.
    3) Yes
    4) No, you only need one or the other. No point in having both, nor is it recommended (unless you use both).

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Bazza

I dont use Outlook but have it installed as part of Office2003, so just to have a look to see if their is a send/recieve progress window I imported a mail account.

bear in mind I'm using OL2003 so it may not be in OL2000 bur look for an option to turn on off the progress box.... goto ( and you may have to look around the menus ) Tools > Send/Recieve > Send & Recieve settings > Show Progress and untick the don't show this box when sending/recieving mail.

YES ;)

4. bigbazza

Thanks Scott and Halo for the replies, but (2) and (3) still apply. They still haven't moved from "Outbox" to "sent items" as at today.

5. bigbazza

Thanks Scott and Halo for the replies, but (2) and (3) still apply. The 2 emails have not moved from "Outbox" to "Sent items", even though "Outbox" says they have been sent. As I mentioned there was no computer activity when "sending them". I think I will send myself an email to another email address to see what happens. Bazza

===

6. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

Hi, I was looking at a forum today where a guy was asking about AOL whatever it is. He was questioning their email system as if you have to use a certain program. I am sorry that is all I can remember as I don't have AOl and I was just curious. Maybe you should check their rules. Peace

7. bigbazza

Thanks mal. I have also come to the conclusion that AOL maybe responsible. Thinking it over early this morning, I went into Outlook again. 3 messages still in my "Outbox". Clicked on Send/Receive (top, centre, of menu). Got some action. Error message came up "The SMTP server name you specified cannot be found. Please check the name and try again". Typed in www.aol.com and <sent>. Next message came up " "The POP 3 server name you specified cannot be found. Please check the name and try again". Typed in www.aol.com and <sent>. 3 emails went from "Outbox" to "Inbox" Message from System Administrator (although I use W98SE) saying "Undeliverable ..." The test email I sent to myself, shows, as follows.
    ---------------------
    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Testing Outlook
    Sent: 1/11/2004 7:32 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'name deleted @aol.com' on 2/11/2004 4:34 AM
    No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient.

--------

From memory I had similar trouble with SMTP server and POP 3 servers before, with another program. I don't think AOL uses SMTP or POP 3. Need expert help, here, thanks. Bazza

======

8. mw7734

mw7734 Private E-2

I had the same problem with Outlook not sending my emails. I set up Outlook Express and problem was fixed. Plus it sends the emails right when you click send.

9. DavidGP

10. bigbazza

Thanks mw (and Halo for the link). I am going to dump AOL dialup for someone else's broadband and want to re-learn Outlook to refresh my memory of it. I will re-install OE and see what happens. Thanks folks. Baz

===

11. bigbazza

Reading Halo's link and further links it pointed to, the sooner I dump AOL and go to broadband, the better.Now all I have to do is decide on a broadband provider here in FNQ, in OZ. Bazza

===

12. DavidGP

13. bigbazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds