Can't install operating system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcsmc, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

I'm working on a friend's laptop (German laptop at that... it's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo La1703), and am hoping for some fellow geek help!

The computer was running very slowly. It had TONS of startup programs, even ones I couldn't disable in msconfig... and yes, I realize that's for troubleshooting only, but I WAS troubleshooting. Anyway, they didn't care about wiping the drive, just wanted me to reinstall Windows.

The OS on it was Vista (German Vista... presented a slight challenge for me heh). Well, I put a Vista install disk in, and deleted all partitions on the drive, made the whole drive a partition, and proceeded to install Vista.

Or not. It got stuck at Expanding Files (1%). When I mean stuck, I mean I started in the evening, and let it run ALL NIGHT... got up in the morning, it was still boasting it'd gotten 1% figured out on Expanding Files.

So, I figured maybe the install disk was messed up somehow (I use slow-burned copies, because I'll be darned if my original disks get messed up). I tried another disk, this time Windows 7 install disk (I couldn't find another Vista disk at the time, so I was simply seeing if it would work). Same thing!

I tried booting into Puppy Linux with a slow-burned CD... all the load-up status messages showed up, then just a blank screen?

Half an air dust can later, the computer's clean as a whistle. Memtest86 ran fine (I even re-seated the 2 512MB DDR2 RAM sticks). I pulled the hard drive and used an external USB enclosure to run SeaTools on it (Seagate's diagnostics). The drive checked out fine... Everest told me the SMART was great, too. My desktop read the hard drive fine. (That was my FIRST guess, that the hard drive had seen better 1s and 0s.)

I found another Vista install disk that's in pristine condition... it's currently stuck BETWEEN Copying Files and Expanding Files, and has been for about 15 minutes.

When I pulled the RAM, I looked over the motherboard for abnormalities/burn marks/etc. Nothing, it looked fine.

Other than the dust I cleaned out of it, the laptop looks like it's just sat on a desk all its life with no kids or pets around... it doesn't look to have ever been abused, dropped, etc.

The next thing I guess I'm going to do is try another Linux live CD, or figure out how to put Windows Vista on a thumb drive to install from that (is that possible?), because possibly the optical drive has an issue I'm not seeing, but meanwhile can anyone offer advice on what I'm missing in my troubleshooting procedures, or what could possibly be wrong? POST lists the HDD, CD/DVD drive, RAM, etc. just fine, and there's no booting errors.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd test it with a live Linux distro whilst making a USB install, try the W7 method here, it looks pretty simple.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The Windows 7 tool works ok for Vista x86 and x64 the last time I tried it, just need to convert your Windows CD/DVD to ISO format, can use ImgBurn for this as its a good free app. A 4GB USB 2.0 pen is the basic requirement iirc.

This is a method I use alot, should work with all Windows versions from XP up, http://kurtsh.wordpress.com/2007/02...-vista-from-a-high-speed-usb-2-0-flash-drive/

On the original issue, can you enter the bios and clear it to defaults? sometimes this helps, then enter the date time and any custom settings again and install. Did you burn the disks at 2x speed?

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi satrow, Halo,

Thanks for the responses!

I'm currently at Expanding Files 63% (but stuck there) with a (different) Windows 7 install disk... so basically, same issue. It's strange how the results differ each time, but either way the installation gets stuck.

I'll definitely research both USB methods (I have several 4GB and 8GB flash drives, so I'm good there).

Halo, I'll try the BIOS suggestions (though the owner I'm sure doesn't even know how to access the BIOS) for sure!

The disks were burned at 4x speed for CDs, and 4x speed for DVDs as well (I never burn disks at high speed). ImgBurn is my burning program of choice, and it won't burn slower than 4x. I've used the install DVDs and other bootable CDs, etc. on many other computers in the past without issue.

On an interesting note, I found a burning program that will burn any CD or DVD at 1x, 2x, 4x, etc. to max burning speed of the drive, which is pretty neat! I forget where I found it (might have been reading on here), but the program file is called BURNCDCC.EXE . The user interface isn't supreme, but that's some pretty raw optical drive power for a burning program these days.

The only other thought I have is... could the fact that it's a German made laptop (QWERTZ keyboard and all) have to do with an issue of installing a US version of Windows (selecting USA for region, etc. for install)? I can't imagine that's the issue, since the installs get stuck at different points, but I'm running out of ideas!

One last note... the laptop seems to run hot (especially considering it's VERY basic... no wifi -- WEIRD --, uses minimal onboard graphics, 2 USB ports, etc.). I thought maybe it was overheating sitting on a hardtop table, so it's currently balanced on my "PC toolkit" box so it can vent better. It's definitely not as warm, and I don't think that has to do with the install problems... who knows.

I had something else on my mind, but I just lost it. Thanks again for the help with the USB install ideas, and the BIOS suggestion!

Adam

EDIT: I already have .ISO versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 for easy re-burning if my disks get scratched! ;)

5. satrow

I don't think that the language or keyboard will affect the install but Windows Activation Technology (WAT, it'll be one of the updates) may not like it.

I'm wondering if removing and reseating the DVD drive may fix this, that's looking like the favourite cause at the moment (that and the heat issue). USB installs are much faster, it may get around both potential causes.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hey satrow,

Well, I'll likely be activating Windows by phone since it's a reinstall, so I'll definitely talk to a (real) person to clarify that issue.

The next install I will try will be the USB install. I've successfully created the bootable USB install of Windows using that handy program you referenced... thanks! I thought I already knew all the neat little programs (I have a program that can change the MAC address on NICs), but apparently not!

Hopefully that works... the CD/DVD drive doesn't appear to have any issues itself... but hopefully I won't have to deal with it with this USB install.

The heat issue is definitely changed by allowing the bottom to cool with only a 7 inch (or so) stand beneath it, allowing both sides to cool (keeping all of the vents uncovered). On the table top, the bottom was almost uncomfortable to keep my hand on for more than a few seconds (which I thought was strange, since most laptops I've seen with this issue are sporting separate graphics cards, or are high performance, etc.). Either way, I'm crossing my fingers for this USB install... heh.

Adam

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Halo,

By the way, I did enter the BIOS, set DEFAULT, changed the system time by a minute or two, and ensured boot order was correct (USB, optical, then HDD), saved changes, and even enabled "diagnostic boot screen" for now.

I'll post if the USB install was successful.

Adam

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Just a little update...

the USB install is working BETTER than using an optical disk, but it's still hanging at "Completing Installation". I'm trying to get it to finish by rebooting (just rebooted it a second time).

I really wish I knew what this laptop's issue is.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yet another update:

Windows got stuck installing (again), at the "Completing Installation", and when I rebooted for that second time, it said that Windows installation couldn't continue, and I had to start over.

So, I've started over (again using the USB stick). It's currently Expanding Files.

I really wish I knew what was going on with this thing!

10. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Next update:

First of all, the computer froze (mouse wouldn't move) during the first USB installation, rebooting brought it back into installation before it got stuck.

After restarting the installation again (to the Expanding Files point), the computer froze again. Rebooted again. It's stuck once more at "Completing Installation", and the bottom progress bar is exactly where it was the last time it got stuck.

During both freezes, only the blue background of the installation screen, and the (non-movable) mouse cursor was visible on the screen.

Since I've ruled out the HDD and RAM, then the BIOS settings, and now the optical drive... should I give up? Is there anything else I can try?

11. satrow

Completing operation is about the time it lays out the boot files, MBR, etc., is there a problem with the bootsector? Has the drive been used with Grub or similar bootloader?

Will DBAN fix this, I wonder?

12. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Before, I removed the drive from the laptop, connected it using an external enclosure, and repartitioned and formatted it using my desktop (as an external drive). I'm STILL having the install issues.

This user had outdated Norton AND McAfee installed... I'm PRETTY sure they don't even know what GRUB or any other Linux-flavored software even is.

However, even if that were the case, a complete reformat of the drive should've wiped out everything... right?

13. satrow

No, a normal delete partition or wipe filesystem doesn't touch the MBR. It's my understanding (never used it, only read many good things about it) that DBAN takes the drive back to 'factory' clean, no bootloader/MBR/partition ... has to be worth a try, I think.

14. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hrmm... alrighty, then. DBAN is about halfway done on the drive (thankfully it's only an 80GB drive). I'll try again this evening since DBAN won't be done before I leave for work, and post the results.

Thanks again!

15. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Although it shouldn't make a difference, I wonder if setting the SATA mode to IDE might be worth a try?

It wouldn't explain the problem with Linux so disregard if you see no point.

16. sach2

I realize none of this explains the problem with Linux but there were a couple of BIOS updates related to the HD controller. Which version of BIOS are you running? I think the 8.7 version is referring to installing SP1 to a running instance of Vista so it may not necessarily apply to your problem. I'm just putting it out there since you are still having problems.

17. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi sach2,

Thanks for the help... the BIOS is 6.0 so I'll try flash updating that. After complete 3 pass DBAN wipe, I tried another USB installation... hangs again at "Completing Installation", same issue.

I'll try after the BIOS update!

18. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

BIOS update was successful, though pressing any key didn't work to restart like it said it would, and holding the power button for over 30 seconds didn't turn it off... I had to remove the battery and power cord to turn it off! Heh... it booted okay after that, though.

Either way, I guess I'm going to attempt another (10th?) install of Microsoft's wondrous operating system.

EDIT: Well one thing the BIOS update certainly did... stopped the computer from being able to boot from that bootable flash drive with Windows on it! Bastards.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  19. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

sach2,

You saved my from dying of frustration! The install via DVD went smoothly (at last!) after the BIOS update. Thanks!

20. sach2

Glad to hear it!

I'm not a fan of recommending BIOS updates but since one specifically mentioned Vista installation, I thought it might have something to do with the problem.

I'm still curious if setting SATA mode to IDE without the BIOS update would have worked?

At any rate you've got it working. Maybe the southbridge update will help with the laptops slowness issues? Seems there are a lot of forum posts about that laptop not being particularly fast. A fresh install should put it at its optimal performance for the time being at least. :)

21. satrow

Good result :)

Now secure it, tweak it and create an image for easier recovery.

USB flash drive booting still a no-go on this BIOS though? That's a real bummer :(

22. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yeah, I agree concerning BIOS updates, but while it crippled bootable USB, it allowed Windows installation!

I didn't see any SATA mode settings in the BIOS, before or after flashing it.

The laptop is slow because A) it has 1GB shared DDR2 RAM (128MB is reserved for the onboard graphics), and B) it's got a processor my HTC G1 can probably beat! However, they want to go with Windows 7, so that's what I installed (and yes, I was trying 7 AND Vista before with no luck), and it's so far running smoothly, considering the (lack of) hardware it's got to work with.

It's not downloading too fast using a wired ethernet connection (it doesn't have wifi), but one of the Windows updates is for the NIC... so I'm guessing that should fix that. Either way, they use a wireless mobile internet USB adapter, so it won't bother them either way.

Honestly, I hadn't considered the BIOS being a reason why the OS wouldn't install (how'd they install it in the first place!?)... thanks again for the tip!

I'm already putting Comodo Internet Security, Firefox, and a few other things on it, and definitely tweaking the settings. What's good (free) software for creating a backup DVD of the installation? Honestly, I've never used backup programs before, but I'd sure like to hear your recommendation, since I believe that's a great idea, especially in this case!

And no, can't boot using the USB Windows 7 install flash drive... USB doesn't even appear in boot options now (it does in BIOS boot settings, but not in boot options screen...). At least it's not a netbook!

23. sach2

I'm wondering about the USB. I vaguely remember on an old DELL of my father's there was no USB listed in Boot Order until you enabled it somewhere else in BIOS. Then it would appear in the Boot Order. [I was thinking enabling in Boot Settings might allow it to show in Boot Order]. Also there is this question which was answered on the Fujitsu forum before the date of your BIOS update and is for a different model but might be worth a try:

Oh, and I would never of considered going through BIOS updates looking for a solution to your install problem. I just happened on this post http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=30852 as one of my first google results on your model and thought it was worth a look through the BIOS updates to see if they sounded relevant.

24. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yeah... F12 was the only way to bring up the boot options menu (besides waiting for the "press any key to boot from CD..."), and like I said, it doesn't show up. I've looked through the BIOS, and TWO USB options are listed in the boot order (only one before the flash update). ONLY the HDD and CD drive show up as boot options, even with the bootable USB drive in.

Well, thanks again. I honestly didn't consider Googling the model, since it's German and I don't speak German... I figured most, if not all, results would be in the foreign (to me) language.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds