Speedy PC Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Qapla, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qapla

Qapla Private E-2

Has anyone heard of or had experience with a program called "Speedy PC Pro"?

It is supposed to detect Malware and also many other type of problems that slow down the PC.

Thanks

2. Qapla

Qapla Private E-2

With 500+ views and no posts and further research about the program ... I decided against it.

Not sure if the "problems" it finds are accurate and real or if it is just enhancing it's results to make sales.

I have a bit of an aversion to a program that portrays itself as "Free" when they mean the program is a free download but you have to pay for it to actually "fix" the problems it reports.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

A wise decision Qapla, these apps are either useless or even makes things worse. Use safe surfing practices along with some free apps as described here, there's no bullcrap as all the downloads here are free along with the program's functionality unless otherwise stated. I haven't spent even a penny on protection these past 10 years.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

May I add,,you're going to find that these Pro(pay) versions of useless software , out number all the good , safe free software! Stick with the Major , and you can't go wrong!!!! Thanks for allowing my opinion!

5. Surr

Surr Private E-2

I purchased Speedy PC Pro. They could not get it to run correctly so deleted it. They will NOT refund my purchase price. They also offered 1 year of "Microsoft Technical Support", with a guarantee that if not completely satisfied, money back. They caused more problems than they resolved, again, they refuse to refund my money. I understand they help SOME people, but beware, they can make things worse...and NO refunds...no matter what they may have promised to get your money.

6. crazh

crazh Private E-2

This is an answer to the person who said that they could not get a refund from the publisher of Speedy PC Pro. When purchasing anything over the internet, use a credit card. If you don't like the product, which offers a refund or does not perform as advertised, you can contact the Credit Card Company. You then dispute the billing as not performing as advertised or that they failed to give you the refund you requested. I have had luck using this approach.

I hope this hellps you, if not now, in the future.

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

This. You are essentially asking a question Majorgeeks has been answering for 12 years. Who cares what anyone else says? There are numerous free and pay ways to tweak your PC without these scams.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

They help no one. It's like I just wasted 12 years here adding SAFE, TESTED downloads so people can just run around the internet and be scammed.

9. silverface

silverface Private E-2

Probably too late to help the OP, but for others:

SpeedyPC Pro is a scam. It is also directly tied to their payment processing company, "Safecart". Neither is US-based making it a mess to try to get refunds...or repairs.

It pops up if you're unknowingly trying to email an exceedingly large file or search using terms like "slow PC", "sluggish", "email won't load" etc etc.

Lesson 1- NEVER buy software that magically shows up when you're having problems.

Once it's downloaded, paid for (usually Paypal-to-Safecart) you are asked to "activate" it - requiring remote access to your PC.

Lesson 2 - any unknown, non brand-name software support person should NEVER be allowed remote access...even major companies should be allowed only controlled access, usually spelled out in the user agreement (which is vital reading for any software "requiring" external/remote access.

If folders or files appear missing, renamed, moved etc. and you call support, you will again be asked for remote access. Do not allow it. They will then state the only other support level is paid support (usually $300 or so, with the price dropping if you vacillate).

Lesson 3 - refuse paid support.

Then, when it's obvious you're in trouble, you will want to remove it - which they will help you with if you allow them REMOTE ACCESS!.. Again, you MUST refuse. You can ask for email instructions, which they will promise to send - and never do. You can ask to speak to a supervisor, and will be placed on hold - forever. You can remove the software - but it will leave some visible and more hidden files and folders you CAN'T see, even if you tick the "show hidden files and folders" box. You can do a system restore - same problem, not everything is gone.

In a recent situation, after several requests for removal instructions via email and assurance they cannot still a system after the software is "removed", activity was noted...external access. The computer was immediately taken offline.

Lesson 4 - you can't fix it yourself.

Bottom line - removal of this crap is requiring a trip to an expert tech shop, where the hard drive will be removed, *hopefully* critical files saved, the drive wiped clean and the system reloaded from scratch. Not a cheap fix, and the $30 purchase price won't begin to cover the charges. There's also no way to go after them as so many layers are involved.

If you've never heard of it, can't find reviews by major players (Cnet and such) avoid it like the plague. And if it's too late, not only have your PC wiped but re-set ALL passwords (resetting user names is also a good idea) and re-set the security on your home or business network.

(FWIW the first review site says "SpeedyPC Pro Exposed?" - and is "comparepcsoftware.com, coincidentally owned by the same company as SpeedyPC Pro. That should give you a clear indication of how they work).

There is plenty of quality, name band software out there. And some small outfits produce great stuff - but they market through normal channels and if truly good will have reviews by known experts.

SpeedyPC Pro is a very, very costly way to find out how software doesn't work and how data retrieval DOES.

Here's a simple, clear rating site. It'll give you a pretty good idea of where they stand:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.speedypc.com

PS - The fact that they are a Microsoft Partner surprises me not at all.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay Private E-2

Hehe...ParetoLogic. Still around? I mean ParetoLogic's passion for malware removal is good, but the business tactics? Not so good!

I did some digging too (I like how you stated that)...

There is not any inherent threat with their software, in general, but some sources state they're involved in misleading marketing tactics.

I find many companies under-confident, when they make extra sites to promote their products...SpeedyPCPro created a couple of those... fixyourslowcomputertoday.com or fixpcerrorsquickly.com... phewy! :major

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

This is an old thread and is attracting spam, so on the last post, I'm closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds