Error: The path is too deep.

Discussion in 'Software' started by nhhorseman, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhhorseman

nhhorseman Private E-2

I operate a small wireless network at home between my laptop and PC. I often copy files from one computer to the other using Windows Explorer, drag and drop. No problems until the past two days. When I drag a file from one computer to the other and that file has any size to it, over 10 meg for example, I get this message after 90% of the copying is done.

Cannot copy (File Name): The path is too deep.

Any idea why and how to correct it? Running Windows XP Pro, 512 ram

Jim

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

How deeply nested is the directory you are copying to?

3. nhhorseman

nhhorseman Private E-2

I am going from

C:\a5v8\upgrades\build1811\a5patch.exe

to network drive

\\Position1\c\a5v8\upgrades\build1811

The funny part is, this is a 25 meg file and it gets copied 90% before I get the error. I have the same problem copying photos

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Family\Jim_Sandy\2007\October Reunion

To:
    \\Position1\c\Documents and Settings\Authorized User\My Documents\My Pictures\Family\Jim_Sandy\2007\October Reunion

BUT
    I have been doing this all along without a problem prior to now.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to Dev Manager on each machine.

Go to the properties of the NICs being used.

Set them from auto negotiate speed to 100Mbps, full duplex.

See if the problem persists.

5. nhhorseman

nhhorseman Private E-2

I went to Control Panel
    to System
    to device Manager
    to Network Adapters
    to Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    to Properties
    I don't see anything about negotiating speed.
    I see tabs
    General
    Advanced
    Driver
    Details
    Resources
    Power Management

What I didn't tell you is that I am working thru a wireless extender which uses the house wiring to connect the adapter to the DSL gateway. Not sure if this has any bearing on it because I haven't changed anything in that setup since I put it in a couple years ago.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

This is a catch-all error message which can have a variety of sources.

In your case I don't think the paths listed are too long (should be less than 254 characters inc spaces and slashes)

I don't think there are too many spaces (should be less than 10)

Also the network starts to copy but doesn't finish, so is accepting the paths.
    You also state that the problem is limited to larger files?

Data is transferred in packets via TCP/IP on your network.
    At some point near then end of transmission, the network receiver is loosing a packet or part of a packet.

I assume you don't have additional new traffic (users) causing 'collisions' ?

This means that I would look for a physical cause. Have you moved the pcs or router further apart?
    Have you introduced a new object between them?
    Is the disk nearly full or aging?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its under advanced.

Under my virtual machine, its called Connection Type.

However...you are using wireless cards?

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Adrynalyne may be right that you can control the nic mode. My 3-com nic doesn't have that luxury.

You may be better trying the slower speed (10) for reliable transfer of larger files.

9. nhhorseman

nhhorseman Private E-2

I have to answer NO to all your questions. Sometimes, and I should have mentioned this, the message is (and I am not writing this literally) something to the effect "Network path cannot be found or is no longer available".
    When I transfer several meg of pictures, it transfers 10 to 20 of them and then I get the path too deep or the network path not available message. It will say "unable to copy family.jpg because the path is no longer available.

Hell, I can live with it. When it happens, I put the data on my memory stick and walk down to the basement and put the data on with that. I have not noticed this problem going from the PC to the laptop, only from the laptop to the PC. But, I don't usually transfer much from PC to Laptop.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That sounds a lot like you simply have too weak or unstable of a wireless signal.

11. nhhorseman

nhhorseman Private E-2

No, I am not running wireless cards. I use the laptop built in wireless and the wireless extender to the router which is connected with a cable to the computer.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That is still wireless.

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

That is a wireless card!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds