Anyone recover a surface well after a cat fell in?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by augiedoggie, Sep 18, 2010.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Gawd man, I wonder how long we used this water before the stench alerted us!:eek My soon to be ex-friend :mad left the cover ajar on my surface well after changing a foot valve and a cat finally fell in.:cry Anybody go through this?

He poured a gallon of Javel in there, not that much water, 3ft. tall and 5ft diameter. It doesn't smell much of chlorine or anything really after letting the water get pumped out, I was wondering if we shouldn't pour another gallon in there and then have it tested for bacteria as that's quite expensive compared to $1 for a gallon, but I don't want to over contaminate it with bleach either. :confused

This mofo WILL pay for his stupid crap!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you manage to get the carcass out? Yes, I would continue to bleach it and do water samples to see if the contaminates are gone.

Obviously you are boiling any water that you use, I assume.

3. augiedoggie

Yes, the carcass is out by all reports. I think I'll get another gallon of bleach in there anyways so's I can have all the house pipes disinfected too, like bathroom sink and shower and hot water heater. The rest can be pumped to the dirt road. I remember that mum used to live in area that really chlorinated their water! I mean I'd flush the toilet or try to have a drink of water was horrid! Brita filters really helped with that.

I don't like putting all that chlorine into my septic tank but it is due to be emptied next year as it is, by law as I live so close to a lake, can't say I blame them either.

As to potable water, a friend brings over some of his excellent well water in those 18.5L plastic water bottles. Plus the gf will be showering at the hospital until we get the tests back, me I don't care about washing except for my face and brushing teeth will be with my friends water for now.:)

4. TimW

Sounds like you have it covered, augie! You might want to try to counteract the bleach effect in the septic by adding a bunch of enzymes after doing the bleach flush. I just hope you don't cough up any fur balls. roflmao

5. TimW

One other thing I just thought of, if this is a shallow well, do you have a chlorinater on it? You probably should. :(

6. augiedoggie

Yup on the enzymes Tim, though I'll wait for a few weeks until the chlorine is diluted. As far as furballs are concerned, sha'dup a you face ALF!:p:-D

7. TimW

Reminds me of the time the wife was using the very last of a gallon of red wine for some spaghetti sauce and found the carcass remains of a mouse. Yummmm. :-D

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sorry Augie, but I could not help laughing. Have never heard of an animal falling in a well, I guess it would be fairly common. Hope you get everything fixed soon.

Just hope the cat was not being chased by a dog when they fell in... :-D :-D

9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

GROOOOOOSSSSS! :puke

Might want to get yourselves checked out and see if there are any shots or antibiotics you should take, in case there were things from the carcass getting into the water. Stray cats get parasites, and judging by my vet's reaction, it's actually rare that pet cats get checked up and treated regularly enough to stay healthy in that department as well.

Just send all bills for bleach and water testing his way. :innocent

10. TimW

And eat a little vasoline......it will help you cough up those fur balls!!! roflmao

11. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

A friend of mine had that happen . . . except it was a squirrel. He did pretty much the same thing via bleaching the well. He pumped out several hundred gallons of water into the river first, then poured a couple gallons of bleach into the head. Let it sit for that day, but ran all the faucets in the house for a bit. Next day he pumped another few hundred gallons out, and dumped a single gallon of bleach in. Ran the water in the house again, and after that went back to normal usage.

Good aquifer in that part of the county, so it was pretty easy to correct the situation . . . no shortage of water to "rinse" out the system.

Gotta love chlorine bleach!

12. augiedoggie

Already got it covered, doctor already filled out the blood work order in absentia. :cool Going on Tuesday.

@TimW Home chlorinator, never heard of one so I'll check it out. Thanks.

@Spad Thanks for confirming my action plan, makes me feel a lot better!:)

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Imagine the results if the well was deeper and your "friend" fell in, or possibly a child.
    Neither unable to get out and nobody to hear their cries for help.
    And no, not being morbid on the subject.
    This has happened many times through the years.

14. augiedoggie

Absolutely man! It's a cement cover that a only a very strong adult or a couple of average guys could move it, nothing else. My friend was on a ladder so no worries there, the top cement ring is above the ground with 12' below,, very obvious and hard to fall into. Nevertheless, it is absolutely an inexcusable act as everyone knows ':crap happens' everyday anyways!:mad

15. tonyhale

tonyhale Lounge Lizard No.2

Friend of mine has a well just inside the rear entrance of her house, the house is an old church lodge, rather than encase it in concrete she had a decorative wrought iron support made, secured it over the well opening, then placed a toughened glass panel on top. She also had subdued lighting installed to display the ferns that grow in the old wells brickwork.

16. augiedoggie

Well, just to finish this saga off, all the tests came back clean, both blood and water!:celebrate Thanks for all the help everyone.:wine

17. TimW

Good to know augie!!!! Now you can go back to bourbon and water!!! LOL

And take a damn bath!!!!!! roflmao

18. augiedoggie

Oh yeah!!! That bath was just lovely![​IMG] ;)

19. TimW

Thanks for not posting pictures, augie!! :-D

20. augiedoggie

Actually, the gf was so enchanted by my ecstatic look of being in bliss that she took a pic!

NOT!!!:p:-D but it did feel sooo goood!:cloud9:)

21. TimW

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds