Keyboard Shortcut Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by lynx560, Jul 11, 2006.

1. lynx560

lynx560 Private E-2

I was wondering where all my shortcuts are listed (stored). I searched my whole comp & then tried googling the subject but found nothing.
    The reason I'm asking is because I assigned a shortcut to a program awhile ago but decided to delete it. When I tried to assign the shortcut to another program, it wouldn't let me. I tried reinstalling the first prog but the shortcut was gone & I still couldn't assign it to the new prog.
    I looked in my registry but couldn't find anything.

System Info
    Win98 SE
    Pentium 3 - 550Mhz
    192 Mb Ram (128+64)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Open search & type *.lnk

See if you can see it now.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

A great alternative to keyboard shortcuts is to use

SlickRun www.bayden.com/dl/sr-upgrade.exe
    and do away with your icons altogether. I have 170+ magicWords instead of icons.
    You don't have to remember keyboard combinations like Ctrl-Shift-Fn2, etc. :confused: :p

My favourite and most used program. :cool:
    I'm just about lost on any PC that does not have it.
    It saves so much mousing around, and great timesaver. Bazza

4. lynx560

lynx560 Private E-2

Thank you both for the information. Unfortunatly it isn't what I'm looking for. Hipster Doofus's info just listed all of my shortcuts but not where my comp remembers what keystroke does what action. I thought it would be in the registry but I cant find it.

Please help
    Thank you

5. lynx560

lynx560 Private E-2

Top....

6. lynx560

lynx560 Private E-2

Well... well... well:rolleyes:

It looks like Ive found a question that nobody knows the answer to. Really a bummer...

7. bigbazza

Yep, :p :confused: Bazza :)

===

8. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

The hotkeys are stored in memory (and in the .lnk files).

This is theretical based on some fact.

Fact: You can assign a hotkey to any shortcut.

Fact: Only Hotkeys for links on your desktop or start menu will work

Fact: Removing a hotkey from a link won't take effect until reboot. It will be gone from the link but will still work.

Fact: Hot keys are global (IE a global keyboard hook)

Theory: When whindow loads it enumerates shortcuts in the start menu or on the desktop and stores the hotkeys in memory. This 'array' of hotkeys will allow additions (new links added) but won't allow removals, the list is regenerated when you boot. The global keyboard hook will intercept any keystroke and then compare it to this 'list' if found will run your program.

Maybe I'm right.... Maybe I'm not but it seems the most likely answer

9. lynx560

lynx560 Private E-2

Thank you very much matt :)
    All the facts I knew but didnt know about the hotkeys being held in memory. That certainly tells me why I couldnt find them.
    Thanx again.

While I didnt get the answer I wanted. I do appreciate everyones input. (especially yours Bazza :) - if nothing else, honesty is always the best answer)

Thank you all ;)

10. bigbazza

You're welcome.
    I still recommend that you try SlickRun.
    It is a really great program. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds