Is It Fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redryder, Jun 1, 2006.

1. redryder

redryder Private First Class

My wife has a HP Pavillion, 800 Mhz Procecessor, 128 Memory, 30 Gh Hard Drive.She runs Windows ME. She unplugged everything from her lighting protection strip when a storm came over. Today, when she started to plug them in again, she said that when she plugged the computer in, it "popped". And now, there is no power to the computer, although there is power to the Monitor and Printer. The strip seems to be ok. The only problem is the computer. Is it fried or is there something that I can check and maybe bring it back? I am not really a tech guy so need to be careful about what I mess with. Hope that someone can help me Thanks in advance.
    Red

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

See if there is a circuit breaker on the powerboard (strip) or button you can push in.

Temporarily unplug things that aren't vital like printers etc.

Do any lights flash or come on, on the PC?

3. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

Hopefully it is just your Power Supply in the computer, I am a "Geek On Call" in Beltsville, Maryland and I have run into this problem before.

See if replacing the PS fixes it.

4. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

Have you tried plugging the computer directly into the outlet? Try that and see if it works. If so it is the surge protector.

5. redryder

redryder Private First Class

Thanks, Guys,

I checked everything out and I feel certain that the problem is the PS. I remember that I had to have one installed on another computer once. The job is a little above my expertise, so will need to have someone put it in for me.Finding a match may be a problem. The machine is several years old. Thanks again.
    Red

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds