Why Is Adaware 2007 So Unstable & Now Becoming One Of The Worst Programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by superstar, Apr 30, 2008.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Hi everyone!

I'm a long time user of Adaware SE [the good ole days]. About 7 months ago Adaware stopped providing update definition files for SE so everyone would hop on the Adaware 2007 band wagon. Well I've been using Adaware 2007 since than and I must say it's way too unstable. Sure I can do my weekly scans and find certain bad things I remove as usual. But as far as it's stability the program has gone down the toilet. Sometimes I'll update the definitions files through the web update button and the program will crash after the update has been installed, it may restart itself and display a windows error message such as this one:

[​IMG]

Or even worse sometimes it just won't download any updates and show some sort of "error SSL failed try web update" message. & am I crazy? Because for heck sakes sometimes the program searches for software updates and shows me all these checkmarked language files from languages I don't even speak. Why would anyone like me want to download arabian, french, dutch, and other foreign languages when my application should be english? & knowing that it is running in english it shouldn't search for such updates. Or what am I bi-lingual now??? LOL. But beyond that I hear and have seen that there are countless background processes running because this software is installed. That's just slowing down my pc and heck I don't need that because I'm still on a P3 1.4Ghz w/512mb of ram!

Is there any solution to this damn software? I'm sick of this... But I need to scan my files and this is like a sister software for Spybot Search & Destory. They go hand in hand during my weekly scans. What would I replace Adaware with? Or have they figured out the chaos and released a newer stable version?

I'm done with this... What am I to do? I'm even scared to uninstall it. Heck it may leave half of it's files and registry crap all over my darn pc.

:major

2. superstar

Well I don't need real time protection because that would just slow down my pc even more. I'm still using a P3 pc. So let me get this straight... Adaware does the same thing Spybot Search and Destroy does? If so than I'll just uninstall Adaware and keep Spybot Search and Destroy as my only scanner along side AVG Free.

I recently went on the lavasoft forum [Adawares Creators], and noticed heeps of people starting threads about issues they have with Adaware 2007. There so many bugs in it and some people can't even uninstall it. I don't want to use it anymore as it keeps giving me errors and stuff. I don't find it useful at all anymore because of it's daily problems. But I do want something else to replace it with. If Spybot Search and Destroy is enough let me know... Because what I usually do at the end of each week is run a routine scan in this order:

1. Spybot Search and Destroy
    2. Adaware 2007
    3. Avg Free
    4. CCleaner
    5. System Mechanic v4 [Maintenance Wizard]

That's what I use every week in that very same order. & sometimes Adaware finds certain things that need to be removed that Spybot doesn't. So I'm stuck in a dilemma. Use a flaky program, uninstall it to replace it with something else, or what???

It would be nice if someone could recommend a fix to my problem. I know I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING ISSUES WITH ADAWARE!

- Thanks

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Adaware use to be good but now its not. There is better apps now.

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

I agree. Yet another app "improved" into worthlessness.

5. superstar

I understand what your saying but I only have 512MB of ram so my pc isn't up t o par with new machines. I try to keep background processes and any systray programs to a minimum.

I just checked out the url link you provided in your first post about Comodo BOClean. I also took a look at the screen shot of the software. & boy does that thing look quite complicated. How much ram does it really use if I let it run in the background? & if I don't let it run in the background can I still just do manual scans when I want?

Otherwise is there any better program out there? I'm planning on getting rid of Adaware this week. I hate it!

Thanks

:major

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Do what I do, I still run 106pe and download the definitions manually. I don't know how long they will allow the defs.ref files to be downloaded but when it stops so does my adaware use.

I think the same thing happened to adaware as did to webroot spysweeper and Nero burning rom. Some corporate dumas decided firing all the high paid programmers and replacing them with college kids would save the company millions. Instead its loosing them millions as their customer base goes by-by.

Here, don't say I never gave you anything:

Code:
    http://dlserver.download.lavasoft.com/public/defs.zip
    Save that link, it will be updated every few days to the new defs.ref file. Just put it in your 106 directory manually. Bingo! your up to date and running 106pe still.

7. superstar

Don't you mean Adaware SE>??? Isn't PE = Professional Edition which is a paid version???? I'm looking for freeware hehehehe. Someone else recommended Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.11

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Hmmm what a dilemma. And oh come on they won't be offering the def files forever. & how the heck do you know that the download link you have for def files is a new version if the "zip" name is always the same since you say you just save that url in your favorites and go back to it every other day?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To be honest, you don't need to run any antispyware apps, if you just are careful of what you browse, what you download, and who you download from. I have never once used an active scanner for malware, nor have I ever been infected according to manual scans.

Cookies do not count.

9. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

My bad, SE it is. I am running 106SE right now with def files downloaded from that link and here is what it says when I open Adaware:

Definitions files SE1R242 28.04.2008 Loaded

thats april 28th

Oh! Wait a minute, I used that link I gave you and overwrote th file in my backup folder, put it in the Adaware directory and now when I open it it says:

Definitions File SE1R243 30.04.2008

Thats yesterday.

Convinced?

Do you, or do you not want to use adaware se, that is the question? Better to suffer the slings and arrows of outragous spyware...

10. superstar

I do quite a lot of gaming on this machine and it runs excellent.

Like I said... They won't be offering those definition files forever.

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Totally off topic, but the OP was stating that he doesn't need real time protection, yet he needs something to remove infections... :confused
    He also says something about his PC slowing down and that he has only a P3 with only 512mb RAM, and then goes on to say he does lots of gaming on it. :confused

Anyway: MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and both excellent for scanning and removing spyware. And both have free versions and paid versions; the paid versions offer realtime protection, the free SUPERAntispyware has minimal realtime protection. Both are available here at MajorGeeks in the antispyware section.

12. superstar

Lol I love your mild sense of sarcasm. The reason I said I didn't want any new software to slow down my pc was because Adaware is now considered bloat ware. The thing takes up soooo many processes and resources it's incredible [for a spyware program that is]. & yes I do a lot of gaming but I have to overclock my video card when doing so. I barely make it! My pcs not bad nor is it good... I'm right at a line I'd like to call "average".

Anyways I've gone on to install Malwarebytes Anti Malware program. Adware is now history.

13. superstar

Why do you suggest I still use BOClean instead? It just looks too advanced for me... But you know what I do have to complain about. Malwarebytes takes 2 and a half hours to complete a FULL SCAN on my pc. Adaware used to take 30 minutes for a FULL SCAN. I hope the quick scan feature is faster. But hey if your saying BOClean is better... :wave

I was sitting at my pc watching "the first 48" on a&e waiting for the scan to end by the end of the show. Instead it ran til like 2am. Lol.:p

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The newer the software, the bigger the database because more malware is created everyday. The bigger the database, the longer it will take to scan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds