CPU Fan Failing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellsrage, May 14, 2012.

1. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Ugh well my CPU fan is making a loud grinding noise when it starts up. Really I don't want to bother replacing it it's made by Thermaltake and I would also have to pay to ship the damn thing. It's also petty loud so I figure buying a new one would be best.

My only problem being I'm having a hard time finding a fan for my CPU which will fit my MOBO.

My MOBO and CPU.

GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 AM3+ NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz

If you need more info just tell me what.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Thermalteke use standard size fans so you can use any cpu fan that's the same size,you can even use a none CPU fan such as a simple 120mm fan connect straight to a fan speed control,can you post the model on your HSF?

Are you sure its dying? Usually when they full of dust and fluff a lip of it can protrude into fan causing a grinding sound,remidied easily by cleaning the HSF. Also are you sure its the CPU fan causing the grinding sound? With the side of the case off slow the fan down by touching the centre with your finger to see if the noise dissapears or changes pitch.

3. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

I cleaned my whole PC when I first heard the noise using compressed air.

Yeah it's the CPU I originally was thinking it might be the side 120mm fan but I decided to open the case and see what was causing it. I did as you were suggesting and that's how I discovered it was the CPU fan.

Let me check the model number of the fan.

4. Rikky

Is it a stock Heat sink that came with the computer/CPU or an after market one you fitted yourself?

Does the fan connect to the CPU fan header and have 3 or more wires or is it connected via molex? If its molex you can use any fan that's the same size,if its connected to the cpu fan header you'll need to buy a cpu fan that's the same size.

Also measure the size of the fan across one side,it will most likely be 80mm,90mm or 120mm.

5. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Okay I checked the model number for the fan is. DF0701512RFMN

It was stock I think it's this one they look exactly the same. HERE

The fan connect via a 3 pin connector.

If it's the same one on Newegg which I'm fairly sure it is it's 70mm and I do believe it is.

Now in doing this I've found that the CPU fan and heatsink they put on this is not even for my computer. I have a AM3+ socket and the CPU is a 95watt not 65watt. Hell none of the Tt CPU coolers on the site are even made for the FX Series.

6. Rikky

7. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

8. Rikky

9. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Yeah might even pick up some quit 120mm fans for the side and back the stock ones are noticeable to say the least. lol

I don't really mind but when I play games and use a mic you can hear them running in the background.

Got any suggestions?

10. Rikky

I like silverstone 9 blade fans,powerful and quiet,there's very little between most fans though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999346

But I never connect fans directly I always put them through a fan speed control and tune the speed as IMO all of them are too loud so buying a cheap fan controller and slowing down your current fans at the expense of cooling is also an option.

Shop around though,check the fans you currently have they should have a db and cfm rating written on the sticker at the centre of the fans or you can research the their model number,you want the highest cfm/db ratio at your price range and noise level.

11. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Unfortunately my current fans have no sticker with any info both sides just say Azza. (the maker of my case)
    There is also no info on the site about the fans only about there cases ect. So I don't have a clue what the db/cfm rating is on the fans.

Also my stock fans are connected via molex and it seems all speed controllers use 3 pin.

12. Rikky

You just need molex to 3pin adapters,I make them.

You can get them cheaper than this,first I found.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Internal-Molex-Female-Power-Splitter/dp/B002VSTYJC

If you get a half decent fan controller adapters are included.

13. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Got a speed controller you would recommend?

14. Rikky

Any you like in your price range,from a couple of knobs to a fancy touchscreen with alarms,temp sensors and smart fan speed control,they all do the same thing which is slow the the fans down.

Its up to you:) I use two on my comp a 4 channel coolermaster aerogate on my 4 radiator fans and an 3 channel AXP digital for my case fans,its pretty cool for the price which was about £10,smart fan target speed "Only with 3pins fans though",low fan speed alarm,high temperature alarm with 3 temp probes,hard drive indicator.

http://www.boston.co.uk/products/ald-v01-u1.aspx

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...ture-Controller-Black--MTR001B-pid-11715.html

I don't think they sell either of these anymore I can't find them.

If your goal is just to slow the fans down I would get a simple 3-4 pot controller like the Aerogate or one you like,since your fans are only 2pin you can't make full use of a digital one with smart speed control.

Something like this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-gloss-black-35-speed-control-for-3-fans-and-2-usb-20-ports

15. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

I found a good one for $24 it's an 8 channel controller so when I build my own PC down the line I can use it then. But I'm gonna wait on them for now CPU fan/heatsink and I think I'll get D3 and live with the noise. lol

Here is the fan controller. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998089

16. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Alright my new heatsink/fan will be arriving today.

Some questions.

Do I use the thermal compound it come with or should I pick up something else?

And this one has me confused it seems everyone has a different idea on how you should apply thermal paste? Most though seem to agree on the tiny pea sized amount in the center of the CPU.

So do I do the pea size technique or what? lol

17. Rikky

Pea size is too much,big grain of rice is what you should use.

All coolers come with different paste usually whatever they get the cheapest in bulk,they will all work fine. I use Arctic silver 5 ATM because it's proven and not too expensive but there are better ones available such as the newer ones that contain micronised diamond.

It's up to you how far you want to go.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-January-2012/1468/5

18. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Was the fan sounding like an airplane taking off?
    Like getting really loud while it was on?

If that is so, it very well may have been that your fan bearing needed re-lubricated.

You'd need sewing machine oil, or 3-in-1 household oil.
    Peel back that little sticker back on the face of the fan. Underneath that their should be a little rubber stopper, pop that out and put a single drop of oil in it and replace the stopper and the sticker. Then it run to let the oil lubricate the bearing again.
    That helped me with my fan problem.
    Spock.

19. jassmine

jassmine Private E-2

Hi I am just new in this thread. I also would want to ask what's the reason behind the loud grinding noise on my cpu fan when my computer starts up. I don't know what's making it so noisy. Can you help? Thanks

20. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

lol Sort of but it's besides the point the thing isn't rated for my CPU so I'm better off replacing it. Plus the damn thing is really cheap I actually broke one of the blades while cleaning it. I didn't even use any force so either I'm really strong and don't know it or the plastic is crap. Thankfully it was a clean break so I just got some very strong glue and put it back in place.

Could be dirty have you tried cleaning the fan? I use compressed air.

Like Spock mentioned it might just need to be re-lubricated.

Does the noise go away after a little while?
    If so it could be that the ball bearings are failing or the motor in which case you will need to replace the fan.

21. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Alright got the new CPU Cooler installed. I did the BB method which is what I meant to say earlier. lol(Put a BB sized dot in the center of CPU)
    I used the Cooler Master Thermal Compound that came with the product.

So far I'm very happy. The temp right now is 20-21*C which is 20-22*C lower than I had with the stock cooler which was around 41-43*C. I haven't seen the temp when playing games but I'm sure it will handle that just fine. lol

Last edited: May 23, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds