Newbie need help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cold-Assasin, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Cold-Assasin

Cold-Assasin Private E-2

As you obiously know by now im a Newbie at computers and all that :p so go easy :) i am about to get a new computer. Its basically just for games etc. I want to know which is better. A flat screen or an old one? I've been told alot of diffrent things. I wanted to see what u all though? Thanks this should be a real help :cool: ;)

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

For gaming I definitely prefer CRT, then again I like BIG monitors.
    Having said that, when 40" flats are at 'just another commodity' prices, who knows?

BTW, Welcome to Major Geeks:D

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

with LCDs starting to get into the 16-12ms re-fresh rates they are slowly catching CRTs up..

a review of the + & - 's of CRT vs LCD http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-4500.php

I have used an lcd for the past 3yrs and will not go back to crt.. lcds are brighter and easier on the eyes compaired to crts!

4. Bohica

Bohica Private E-2

5. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Be patient...
    You have already posted this question of your in your own thread.
    Please, do not change the subject of other peoples threads.
    -Back to the subject-
    I defenently recommend a CRT monitor.

6. DavidGP

You will not get help on illegal keys here!

7. DavidGP

WHY... any specific reasoning?

as well as the info I posted ... even the footprint of an LCD beats a CRT hands down... ;)

8. Annorax

Annorax Private E-2

CRT's are bigger, yes. But in most cases, they are easier on the eyes and are better for gaming, though LCD's are catching up. Another thing to note is that CRT's are dirt cheap now.

So if you have the space and want to save cash, go with the CRT.

9. DavidGP

LCDs will always be easier on the eyes over CRTS because of the way a CRT picture scans the tube flickers this then can over a period of time result in the user either becoming fatigued or have eye strain, LCDs on the other hand are flicker free.

To reduce the flicker effect to avoid eye strain you need to adjust the refresh rate on a CRT to 72hz to 85hz depending on your monitors settings... by default windows sets this at 60hz so adjusting it is needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds