CD-ROM ""F:/ Is not a valid Win32 application" Message

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matt8789, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Matt8789

Matt8789 Private E-2

When i try to put in a CD into my CD-ROM drive, the Drive light on my computer starts to flicker showing its working but the CDs wont load. I go into My Computer and on the F:/ Icon it shows the name or title of the CD but it wont load. I double click on the F:/ Icon to see if it will load from there but i get a message saying "F:/ Is not a valid Win32 application" Whats wrong? Data and power cables are plugged in.

2. oshout

oshout Private E-2

I would go into your Hardware manager
    (Start\control pannel\system\hardware\device manager)
    and uninstall your CD rom (not disable, uninstall), then restart.
    It'll save time to have the specific drivers for your CDrom - although, that might be the problem in the first place. If it still fails to work, uninstall it again and use whatever drivers Windows recommends.

What it sounds like to me is your hardware configurations have been changed. Your CD rom is getting power, so it's able to read the CD, but it's unable to send the information.

I would also check your bios, perhaps your
    Motherboard isn't recognizing it? If that's the case then your might have to enter it manually ( :( I don't know how to do that) or it could be as simple as changing the value from "none" to "automatic"
    An easy way to see if your CDrom is even being recognized at all is to watch the bios boot screen. It'll usually say
    "primary master :yourOShardrive
    primary slave : yourCDrom"

Do you have your CD rom and hard drive (or other hardware) on the same cable? Does your CDrom have master/slave pins in the back?

Hope some of these solutions work for ya ^^

3. Matt8789

Matt8789 Private E-2

My CD/DVD-ROM Drive has the same information cable as my CD-RW Drive. My CD-ROM Drive cant load anything so i cant put the drivers on a CD and load them from there. How should i go about re-installing the drivers? Where would i get them from?

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Curious as to whether this is a new build/addition or a previous working configuration. Sounds like this could be a cable select problem. Please check the jumpers on each drive and if set to cable select, change one to master and the other to slave, and see if that helps. :)

5. Matt8789

Matt8789 Private E-2

All of my CDs do this..if i Right click and go into Explore i can view the contents of the CD but if i try to run the Setup.exe file for example to install it, it gives me the message again "F:/Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application" When i type DIR F:\ into the command prompt i get the list of all the files on the CD (I think). The system cant boot the CD for itself when im in Windows and it cant boot when i put, for example, the re-install XP CD in and then start my computer..it cant do either. When i go into Device manager and click on Update driver it says to put in the Hardware CD that came with it (which i dont have because i didnt get one). So then i click next and it searches, and it says i have the most resent drivers for this hardware. Also, under device manager for CD/DVD-ROM Drives i have 2 CD/DVD-ROM Drives listed (PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD=117R and TEAC CD-W524E)
    If i un-install the drives and re-install them, where can i get the drivers for the Drives? I cant seem to find them anywhere on microsoft.com

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I'm not surprised that you didn't find the drivers for your CD/DVD devices on Microsoft. These device drivers are a native part of the OS and aren't brand, model, manufacturer specific, and work for all such devices.
    I think that what you were referring to, was deleting the device in Device Manager and rebooting. On reboot, Windows will find the devices and install the drivers for them.
    Please try this, and if the problem still exists, repost, and I'm sure that you will get help.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I just went back and read your post again, and have a question. Does it do this on all CD's regardless of type, bought, downloaded, etc.? Most of the time that I have seen the problem that you mention is from a bad/incomplete download of some type.

8. Matt8789

Matt8789 Private E-2

I uninstalled both of the CD-ROM Drives i was talking about and restarted 2 different times for each, and the computer recognized them and what not but that didnt fix the problem. This problem works for all CDs i use for applications such as Wordperfect 10, iPod software, WinDVD etc..simple stuff like that. When i insert a Music CD, iTunes will open up to import it (like its supposed to), will list the songs in order and correctly but when it trys to import it doesnt. It puts them in my library but it doesnt play cause it didnt import the song, just the names.

9. Matt8789

Matt8789 Private E-2

Im thinking of just buying a new Drive, what do you guys think? And if i do buy one, any suggestions on one?

10. Matt8789

Matt8789 Private E-2

Well, I started my comp. in Safe Mode and it starts fine, when i get to the Sign in screen i have my Name and another Administrator name. The screen is big looking with the screen smaller than usuall but the icons are all big. Neverthe less, the CD doesnt load automatically BUT it will load when i go into Control Panel and click on the F:\ Icon to load it. I tryed to put in the recovery CD to re-format my computer but when i get into Control Panel to start it up from the Icon it gives me the predicted do these steps, Restart your computer with the CD in etc etc.. I CANT restart my computer and then have the CD automatically load because it doesnt automatically load. I can only get into the contents of the re-format and any CD unless im in Safe Mode and go into Control Panel and then open it from the F:\ Icon. So what should i do now?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds