AVAST! just a demo? And it won't start with startup...

Discussion in 'Software' started by snowfalldream, Oct 17, 2005.

1. snowfalldream

snowfalldream Private E-2

I've heard Avast is one of the best free-ware anti-virus programs, so I downloaded it to replace my Norton which will expire tomorrow. Even though I checked in MSCONFIG to make sure that it is checked (ashDisp), Avast is still not starting up when Windows starts. This concerns me, as I have broadband internet, therefore my connection is always on. I tried to start it manually, but for some reason, the only thing that comes up is their scanning portion of the program, and not the gaurd. I checked with Task Manager, and it is not running in the background either.

Also, I thought this was freeware. After downloading it, it asked for my license number, and since I didn't have one, changed my status to a DEMO and says it will expire in 58 days (now).

Should I just go with AVG or some other? I really don't want to pay for Norton or any other anti-virus software...I am a college student with no money!

Thanks....

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the free version requires a FREE registration. Register on their site and they will email you a key.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Avast free registration: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG

If you haven't uninstalled Norton, you should do so now. It may be preventing Avast from starting.

4. snowfalldream

Ok, now for the problem of Avast not running with startup...in fact it won't even start when I try to manually start it...there is a little "no" sign by the icon in the system tray. When I go to start it from there by clicking on it, a window comes up saying the operation could not be completed because the AAVM detected a RPC error. Is there something besides "ashDisp" that needs to be enabled in Startup under msconfig?

5. WickedWildNWise

WickedWildNWise Private E-2

I use the free Avast & once you go to the registration page they will email you the registration number which you can copy & paste it in the splash screen that appears when you click on Avast...maybe you have taken too long & may need to download a fresh copy? It has been BETTER than Nortons:)

ashDisp.exe
    aswUpdSv.exe
    ashMaiSv.exe
    ashWebSv.exe

they are all the processes runnin atm on mine...hope it helps:)

6. snowfalldream

Thanks everyone for the advice about the registration...it's not my concern any more though, I took care of it after the first person told me how to do it.

The second part of the original question is what I am worried about now, and it is the biggest concern because I am not protected right now. Please read my last post and if anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the help!

7. WickedWildNWise

WickedWildNWise Private E-2

I added them all to my previous post:)

8. snowfalldream

That's strange...none of the other options are even avaliable to me on my startup list...only ashDisp. This is the second time I have installed it. I wonder what's going on?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds