Website creation

Discussion in 'Software' started by JMNorris, Mar 20, 2007.

1. JMNorris

JMNorris Private E-2

I have a friend who wants software for creating/designing/editing/whatever a website. He will also need to set up and retrieve data from a database for display on the site. For website design software, I suggested vi; posting his response is probably a violation of forum policy. ;)

He is not a techno-idiot; indeed, he's a SAS programmer. But he wants to get away with learning as little web technology as possible. His web pages can be fairly simple, he is not trying to be fancy or to impress anyone. He's willing to pay some money but strongly prefers spending lots of it. But the need to interface with a database may put his needs out of range of freebees such as nvu or arachnophilia. Any ideas for products can help him with not only the html, css, and perhaps javascript he'll need but also the php, asp, or whatever for backend dealings with the database?

Thanks in advance.

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Last I knew, vi was the name of a text editor on unix systems... (although I prefer joe myself). Is vi the name of something else as well?

Why not investigate what tools are provided depending on where he hosts his site? Maybe there's an ISP out there that will provide all the tools he needs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds