Want to become Major Geek!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ablaze, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

Good Morning,

well::: i will start from my introduction ::: the user name given here is not my real name but i prefer this one ::: (real name: Kashif Zeeshan) ::: i m doing my second year of PhD in mycoherbicides (using a fungi against the weeds as biocontrol) ::: i live in Quimper, France :::: i love to work on computer, internet (computer related works) ::: i had have 90 words per minute typing speed ::: now i m not sure to have the same but its good enough ::::

well::: computer is not really my domain of study but i love to become a real major geek like most of you (if possible) ::: the main objective to join this forum is this one :::: i know a little bit about computer i.e., windows installation and other basic computer information ::: but there is a lot to learn ::: i will be really glad if you can guide me in this sense ::: that is, from where to start ::::

well::: i will try to learn the basics of each and every task, we normally do with the computer to improve speed, security etc etc ::::

recently, i re-install windows XP SP2 and i am going to install all the rest necessary things as mentioned in the post http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525 ::::

I updated windows, installed avast home edition and a-quared free edition :::: i will install now comodo personal firewall (will disable also windows firewall), CCleaner slim (without toolbar), Comodo BOClean anti-malware, SpyBot-Research & Destroy (wintou TeaTimer), Spyware Blaster (after this, i will adjust ActiveX Settings), Mozilla Firefox, MSJVM Removal Tool (to remove Microsoft Java), Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and at the end Diskeeper Lite ::::

After installing these basic obligatory softwares, i will install other softwares for normal daily uses like msn messenger etc etc ::::

My Computer configuration is:
    Intel Pentium III
    797MHz, 384 Mo RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    version 2002
    Service Pack 2

well::: here is my all ::: and thanks for your time :::

i will really appreaciate your kind help to put me on the right way to become a major geek like you :) ::::

thanks a lot

take care n Bye

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Welcome, ablaze. :wave
    Only 999 more posts to Major Geek!
    Using fungi to control weeds. Sounds like you may need a test yard. My front and back yards are both available. :D (In the Spring)

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Time for a new computer then :p

Welcome anyway :)

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

5. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I already have fungus in my yard. Doesn't do a thing for me, except grow toadstools in a ring.

Welcome aboard!

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Or venture to the Linux section and convert to the Dark Side. :major

Welcome ablaze

7. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Lets settle for Mac :p

9. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

well::: taking under consideration your nice comments and a warm welcome, i bought yesterday night new laptop and the configuration is :

System Type: Operating system 32 bits
    System: Acer Aspire 5720 G

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 1.67GHz
    (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
    Upto 1024MB ATI Mobility
    Radeon HD 2300 HyperMemory
    2GB DDR2
    15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite LCD (8m/220-nit)
    160GB HDD
    DVD-Super Multi DL
    802.11a/b/g WLAN

well::: now i want to know that i should install comodo personal firewall or i should stick with vista own firewall ::: and if i should install comodo personal firewall, then should i disable vista's firewall (if yes then how) or i should keep both ::::

thanks for your kind help ::::

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks.com, ablaze, and congratulations on your new purchase :)

For tech questions around firewalls and AVs, start a new thread in the Software Forum. You will then get more replies of a technical nature, as this is simply a "welcome" forum.

11. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Nice new purchase :)

12. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

thanx:: i will post the question in the appropriate forum:::

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds