Static shock fried my monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomiboy59, Feb 27, 2005.

1. tomiboy59

tomiboy59 Private E-2

Hey, I don't really have a question, but I'm just posting this freak accident that happened. I have a NEC LCD monitor, the Multisync 1765, I went to turn it on, and i got a static shock. It was a huge shock too, it actually sort of hurt. But the monitor didn't turn on after that, so I'm figuring it fried. Has anyone ever heard of this happening to a monitor before? I know it happens to computer sometimes, but even then, I never heard of something being fried through the case by static electricity.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Was it one big shock or small pulses,like a buzzer? :confused:

3. tomiboy59

tomiboy59 Private E-2

It was one big shock.

4. gman4dx266

gman4dx266 Private First Class

Our old cabinet TV from the 70's used to do that with the metal buttons....but an LCD?!!?!?

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Static? You sure? Might be a cap discharging into your hand (ouch), or somthing of that nature but I doubt it was static, unless its made of highly polished nylon or somthing. Even then, you wouldn't get a huge shock from it, because you'd need some sort of conductor to take the electrons from the surface.

6. tomiboy59

tomiboy59 Private E-2

Well maybe it wasn't static, but all I know is that when i went to turn it on, I got shocked and it doesn't work now. The computer was on, and i was gone for like an hour, so i turned off the monitor. So it was working an hour before. I got a service plan from best buy on it though, so i'll be getting it fixed this weekend when i go home. It's rough not having a computer for a week. This is such weird incident.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds