OS wont load.. help

Discussion in 'Software' started by coldcell, Jul 28, 2007.

1. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

My PC was working fine until an hour ago.

Now my OS wont load ever.

When I turn on/restart my PC, I see the motherload logo loading and I can press DEL to go to setup. Usually after this, the OS will load. I get the msg like "Windows XP and the loading bar at the bottom of the screen". Now after loading the motherboard, it simply stops at black screen. No OS or w/e.. the PC isnt blinking either.

I cannot even go to safe mode because when I press F8 in the beginning, it only asks me the order of boot (cd room, drive etc)

I tried putting the windows installation disk, go to repair and use fixboot and fixmbr but still didnt fix the problem.

What is wrong and what can I do to fix this? I'm desperate.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good question ....anything happen in the between time? This could be multiple caused ...bad ram, power supply..etc.
    If power supply is going ....try a different one ...or remove everything except the hard drive (remove all other drives/pci cards/etc.) and see if it will boot then.

3. coldcell

I take out the RAM and when I turn on the PC, it makes this loud beep sound. I got scared so I turned it off again.

Also, the RAM feels hot to me. Is that normal?

Also, there was nothing between the working fine to this state. I literally was using it to watch movies and I just thought I should restart the PC since the last time I did it was 12+ hours ago. So I doubt there's anything drastic that changed in few min.

4. TimW

You are doing this with the computer not only plugged in but on??????
    You need the ram to run the os ....
    Unplug the computer ...remove all PCI cards and cd/dvd drives....leave the ram in and the hard drive ...then see if it will boot.

Sorry ..mis-read ...

5. TimW

6. coldcell

OMG YOU SAVED ME!! THANKS!!

It works.. I did a setup repair and now I'm back on. Just have to re-update the XP to SP2.

For additional information, what caused the original problem? I dont think its the PSU since I've been using the PC for almost a month now. While I know the solution, prevention is always better. Reinstalling and updating windows is not something I like to do everyday :)

7. coldcell

Um I have another problem. My installation disk is very old, so it has SP1 in it.

Now when I tried to install SP2, it's stuck at

Creating Cabinets and Running Process before install. How can I update my windows?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds