System failed memory test ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dokok, Nov 10, 2005.

1. dokok

dokok Private E-2

Hello,

I have an Athlon 2400+ on a Asus A7N8X-e deluxe mobo. I also have 2 DDR 400 512 mb sticks installed.

The system was identical for the past year. Today, while browsing the internet I heard "System failed memory test" in my headphones and the monitor shut off. I could still hear the PC working (at least the fans) and also the red light on the front of the case.

I shut down the PC, and of course it won't come back up.

This is what I tried so far based on other forum posts:

1. Tried one stick of memory at a time, no result.
    2. Removed the Mobo battery and moved the jumper next to it from 1-2 to 2-3 for 2 secs, then moved back. No result.
    3. Tried a new video card (not sure why). No result.

Any other suggestions?

PS: I have another PC from which I'm posting now. It uses DDr 270 memory. Can I try this on the other PC to see if boh my ddr 400 sticks went bad?

Thanks

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Yes you can try the ram in another computer as they are both DDR1 and they are compatible. Although there isn't really much point.

Even with no RAM installed a computer should turn on and display a message (something like RAM count failed). So if you arn't even seeing an error message it's highly unlikely to be a RAM problem. In fact if you turn on the A7N8X board without RAM or a procesor installed it will says "unabale to find CPU" over your speakers. (I was quite suprised when it did that to me).

So unfortunately this means that if you arn't seeing anything appearing on the screen at all, that means either the motherboard itself is bad. Or the video card is bad. If you are getting something, Even if it's only a 1 word error that's a whole diffrent ball game.

3. dokok

dokok Private E-2

I get no error whatsoever.

I got the "System Memory test failed error" right before the monitor shut off.

I can hear the PC running but the monitor wont turn off, even if I only press DEL button for bios to come up.

I changed the video card and same problem.

I guess is the Mother Board then?

Thanks

4. dokok

dokok Private E-2

Also with no memory in the slots at all, I get no error messages.

So nothing in headphones or from the PC's beeper.

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

OK, you confused me a bit. You said when you press the del button for the bios to come up. Does that mean you're seeing the screen where it says press DEL? Because if you see that then it's not so bad. If you arnt' seeing anything at all, then yes it's the motherboard.

That motherboard does say "System failed memory test" when the memory test is failed. But the thing is the memory test only runs during POST (which is when you turn it on). It should never say that after the computers turned on. So the fact that it did, doesn't speak very highly of your motherboards health.

6. dokok

dokok Private E-2

I don't get to see anything on the monitor.

I mentioned the del part because I saw in another post that people said they can get in bios even though they have a similar problem.

Oh well I guess its the Mobo then.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds