does anyone own/use a tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimpster123, Dec 6, 2008.

1. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

Hi guys,
    I'm getting a new laptop for school. I want something on the small size- say a 14 in or a 12 in screen. While browsing, I came across Tablet PC's- I've never used one myself, but they look intruiguing. My question is how well the record handwriting- I'd want to use it to take notes during class. Are they better then the credit card digital signature boxes? Does record things as accurately as paper does?

-gimpster123

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

my opinion is that touchscreens on tablet pcs get smudged up/scratched up way too fast.

if you can type fast enough, i think that a smallish notebook would suit you well...

some pros and cons about tablets are that you can make copies of your notes instantaneously, and the amount of notes is only limited to how much hard drive space you have, but if the system crashes it's hard to get all your notes back (so make frequent backups)

some pros and cons about paper are that its cheap and widely available, but if your pen happens to asplode ink can ruin everything...also, if you use a pencil, it can smudge...

3. gimpster123

now that I'm thinking of it- I don't really see any advantage to writing on a tablet pc instead of a notebook....

4. jschwisow

jschwisow Private E-2

If you are thinking about a laptop with a smaller screen, I would certainly encourage you to consider a convertible PC tablet; gives you both the function of the touchscreen tablet and the keyboard of a laptop. I have been using a Fujitsu since March 2004 and have been very pleased, although I use the touchscreen more for drawing function than handwriting.

You use a protective sheet over the touchscreen to keep it from getting scratched up. There is no comparison between a tablet pc screen and a credit card digital signature box.

The big advantage to notes on a pc tablet is that your handwriting can be automatically converted to type rather than remaining in your handwriting. When using a program like MS One Write not only can all your notes be filed and organized in different folders, but you can reorganize them and they are searchable. You would also be able to go back and insert additional information as well as add internet links, charts, audio or video clips, etc.

A number of professional programs are now using convertible pc tablets as standard issue to incoming first year students. They then distribute course material digitally rather than on paper. With a tablet pc you could use the highlighter function during lectures as well as add other notes in your handwriting to the original material.

Certainly you would want to develop a good regular backup system for all of your data.

Jim

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I have 2 tablets - Toshibas. They are nice because you can use then as a regular laptop then turn the screen and use the stylus to write or draw / annotate a lot faster. With OneNote a tablet is very useful.
    They are really good for working away from a desk - site surveys, etc in my case.

Sams club has an HP tablet with touch screen for under $1000... ummm, new laptop.

6. gimpster123

thanks for the feedback

has anyone used this for classes or seminars or anything like that?

7. carmello2003

carmello2003 Private First Class

I have 3 "Motion Computing" M1400's. They are in my opion the best out there. Well motion computing tablets anyhow. The m1400 is 3rd out of 6 generation PC tablets. These are top of the line and can be purchased at e-bay (Where I bought mine) for under $300! Finger print scanner for all your passwords, built in WiFi, All voice activated. If I say "Open Yahoo" the computer does just that. I can type in anything and it recognises my handwriting EVEN cursive!. Also it has Bluetooth technology. Connect to you cell or other computers. These units were over $2000 new in (I believe) Around 2004-2005. Get back to me if you want to know who I got mine from he is very reliable. did I mention you can get a docking station that when inserting your M1400 or 1300 everything is already conected. Keyboard, mouse, ex drives, road runner (or what ever you use) I love mine! oh I forgot I have built a holder (Simular to police) for my vehicle. so now I have GPS, a 80gb mps player or whatever.
    Carmello2003
    oH ya just try to scratch my screen. you'll neww a razor or a nail. if it gets scratched I replace the protector. Writing on these looks just like you wrote with pen. and you can erase.

8. carmello2003

carmello2003 Private First Class

wONDERING WHAT YOU DECIDED. WANT SOME PICS OF MINE LET ME KNOW

9. gimpster123

hmm I never thought about buying an older one- i guess i really don't need 250gb hd and the 4 gig of ram I was hoping for- I'll also have a desktop at school. I'll have to think about it for awhile.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds