How do I recover data from external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwsartain, Mar 19, 2009.

1. cwsartain

cwsartain Private E-2

I am not being able to get the data off my external HD without formatting it. I downloaded knoppix and burned it as instructed. Then I booted my computer with it and had my external HD on and plugged into the usb port. However, the only thing on the screen is the My Documents folder. It is not showing the external HD at all. I am using a Western Digital external HD. Do you have any suggestions?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Is the external drive USB powered or powered separately from the mains electricity?

3. Jrd3478

Jrd3478 Private E-2

It sounds like the board on the external drive drive broke. You might have to take the thing apart and take the drive out. You can then plug that into your computer internally or get a USB adapter to IDE/SATA adapter and pull the data off that way. Does the drive get power, like lights and stuff come on the box or is it just dead?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you actually booted with the Knoppix CD, you would not be seeing the My Documents folder - that is windows.
    Knoppix would have you log in as a user.

Shut everything off, disconnect the external hd, put the CD into the tray and fire up the computer. If you see the Knoppix desktop, then plug in your external hd.
    I'm not sure if Knoppix will automount it; some distros do and some don't. I haven't run Knoppix lately so I don't remember.

5. cwsartain

cwsartain Private E-2

yes the ext. hd is powered seperately. It has a power cord and usb cord. When it is plugged in it lights up as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds