Visual Studio .NET won't install??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Main Frame, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

When I try to install Microsoft Visual Studio .NET it says I need to update some windows components. I'm running Windows XP with SP1 already installed, and when I go to the windows update site there are no updates available, I've already updated everything. For some reason Visual Studio .NET thinks something is not up to date and it will not allow me to proceed with the installation. What gives?

The website it directs me to has Windows Service Pack 1a, but from my understanding there isn't much difference between sp1 and sp1a, and if I have installed all the current updates for sp1 then there is no need for me to download sp1a, correct?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Correct. Do not install sp1a over sp1. When I installed it, it automatically updated the components that needed updating.

Weird.

Do you have .net framework 1.1 installed?

That will be needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2004
  3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

uninstall the .NET framework.. then let VS.NET install it..

4. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Well, I think I tried to install .NET before I got .NET framework from the windows update site, cause I thought that was what it wanted updated. But that wasn't it.. I'll try uninstalling it...

That didn't help, it still says I need to update some windows componets.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  5. jawpaul

jawpaul Private E-2

I think you have to insert the fourth cd or something and install that first. For more version from school it was the fourth cd yours may be different.

6. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

The fourth cd has no setup or autoexec files, so that's not it..

7. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

I'm guessing this isn't a common problem. Still haven't figured out what's wrong..

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

tried uninstalling IIS and reinstalling it?

9. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Nope.. I guess I'll try that in a minute.

10. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

I think you figured it out, cause I found this "dotNetFx.txt" file..

[01/10/04,06:42:28] Calling MsiInstallProduct() with commandline: REBOOT=ReallySuppress IIS_NOT_PRESENT=1

Then I looked and IIS isn't even installed. I don't have my WinXP disk here so I can't install it right now, but I'll get it on the weekend and hopefully it'll all be okay.

11. jawpaul

jawpaul Private E-2

Again in my copy from school IIS was on like the fourth cd or soemthing. Go through all the cds and check.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds