Which Ubuntu Distro is needed for Intel 64 bit operation in VMWare

Discussion in 'Software' started by augiedoggie, Dec 25, 2008.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, on the Ubuntu site, I enter the closest location, click the 64 bit radio button and what I get is an '8.10-desktop-amd64.iso'. I'd like to know if this will work for me before I blow more bandwidth and time. I installed the i386.iso and apparently it's 32 bit as the program I want to run is 64-bit only and won't start.

Oh, is there any way to check if Ubuntu is truly 32 bit or not, I've been through all menus. Please help this *nix newb.:confused Thanks all.:)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

don't know whether you have read this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607

i do know that with mandriva its more advisable to use the 32 bit version (i have an i686 cpu), i tried the 64 version on another tower i have - too complecated for me

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Thanks for the link hawklord, I searched for something like that but couldn't find it.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds