Side note: Lets all read this

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Look, I am asking our mods to try and be nice and let things go, but occasionally I need to step in when people lose site of our purpose for existing. Let me explain the lounge to you. Its a LOUNGE. Chill.

Frankly some issues with emotional or drug problems don't belong here. This should be a light hearted forum. You might consider going P.M with friends but leaving the public out of it. You might get some help IRL. I would reconsider some of the overly personal things I am reading here lately.

Hey, better yet, use your expertise to HELP people in the forums who need computer assistance. After all, it's what brought you here and why we exist.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all, except for me, I am special in this small pimple of a forum in the grand scheme of things.

Finally, if you have an issue with a moderator, email me at tim@ this website. If you want to go at a moderator publicly, you will be banned. They deserve respect, but they make mistakes. Come to me and I will work it out regardless of who is "RIGHT".

If all else fails, there are thousands of forums where you can flame, be a dick and do what you want. Go find one of those.

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

At last someone has spoken, and not a moment too soon, to be quite honest with you Tim that is exactly why i haven't been using the forums as much, just lately, due to the sometimes, depressing and boring nature of some of the subjects, what happened to having a laugh now and then and cheering each other up !

THANKYOU TIM ! :)

PS Just a note to everyone who think's i'm kissing @ss, i'm not, i'm frikkin serious !

3. Major Attitude

I don't think you are. I might direct the mods here to pull these threads. This depressing "woah is me shit" makes me want to kill myself (Now I'M doing it). Take your personal, deep, twisted problems to a counseler or a forum where people can relate. That's all.

4. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

your such a carebear MA haha I agree though I have my own problems that bring me down from time to time. If I wanted to read about or watch depressing shit I would turn on the news or read the paper.

5. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

The "team" has been discussing at length this whole situation and how they actually evolve into problems on the forum so I would like to add the following to MA's comments.

If you read something offensive, controversial or something that you feel doesn't belong on the forum please report the post so that one of us can review it. Please...PLEASE do NOT reply to the post/thread. By posting a reply, even one where you just say you reported the thread is just fueling the fire. More often than not, we can defuse any problems before they get out of hand. Once one member responds, others follow suit taking a possible minor situation and moving it to the next level of a he said, she said picked apart mess for us to deal with.

We all appreciate your help by reporting posts and allowing us the opportunity to keep the forums an informative, educational and friendly place for all.

Thank you!!!!!:)

6. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

OMG! It's Abbysue! :wave

And yes, I agree with you. People can be so damn immature sometimes. This comming from a kid.

7. AbbySue

The intent of this thread is not to rehash a closed discussion(s) but rather to let everyone know where we stand. Any posts regarding the latter will be deleted and you will be contacted privately and/or given an infraction. We like to be nice and polite in dealing with whatever comes up here but it is necessary to draw the line at some point. This is one of them. We mean what we say and we say what we mean.

In the best interest of this forum as a whole everyone needs to just read MA's post (and the comments I added), file it away for future reference and move on.

Thank you everyone! :major

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I feel like I've missed out on a lot of stuff, but ok!

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I can relate.
    Gotten a few of the private PMs myself, so am now running on a self-imposed tight leash at times.
    Have to admit, under the right (or wrong) conditions, things can get pretty volatile.

10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Well said! Not a moment too soon either...

Now the Lounge will be a fun place again! :celebrate

11. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Also, I tried checking the FAQ but to no avail, - what's the rules with regards to swearing? There isn't really a clarification as such...

12. AbbySue

Good question!:)

This is more a common sense/respect issue. This forum is mainly populated by adults however we do have younger members & lurkers so it is our intent to keep things family friendly. We have minimal profane words filtered and simply ask that everyone try to refrain from using vulgar language in general. Attempts to get around the words we do have filtered by inserting characters, etc. to represent letters is a no, no.

13. Mimsy

If you're wondering because you've seen posts from someone with swearing or what-not, just do what I do. Report them all, and let the mods sort them out! :guns

:p

14. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Good thread! ;)

Does that mean we can report MA's second post in this thread? LOL :p

15. Mimsy

Of course not. Didn't you see his first post where he said he's allowed to say mean things because he's Da Man? :-D

16. Major Attitude

As I told my kids, do as I say, not as I do and we will get along fine. ;)

Seriously, anyone who knows me knows I have issues and swear like a truck driver. No prude here. But I strive for a better community here, your either with us or your not :)

Most swear words are blocked. I believe that swearing are words when you can't properly express yourself That's why I cuss a lot when drunk. Like the forums to be accessible to everyone!

17. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I was very much kidding... hoped that was conveyed in my use of smilies... I guess it wasn't... I'll go cry in a dark corner now :cry

(again.. kidding about the crying LOL)

18. Major Attitude

Dyamond, I take nothing you say seriously ;) You know we're good :)

19. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

ok..... I should have thought it out before I started that topic, didn't think things through, sorry Tim, Full apologies! :(

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  20. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I made a post in here last night, that I see is now gone.

Apparently it might have been construed as being insensitive, or maybe, just off topic, which the latter is fine. I was only trying to lighten the mood seeing as it seemed it was getting too serious in here.

If it was for the former, however, I apologize and was trying not to be hateful or rude.

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I agree swearing is not good for the forum, It is just a weak mind trying to express itself.

Some of the posts have been depressing but other have given an insight to how others get through the day.

I have made some posts about health issues but not with the intention of depressing people, more in a way to laugh at my misfortunes.:-D

There are a number of handicapped members here and sometimes we compare notes, the days can be long and without MGs a lot longer.

I feel that although MGs is primarily a tech forum there has to be room for a little light hearted banter now and then.

22. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Couldn't agree more.

To me, this lounge is for entertainment. Funny stuff, interesting factoids, mild raves and rants. But when it comes to the personal stuff, not interested, although I probably have on occasion responded to some of them.

But it would be good to keep it fun and light!

23. N5638J

N5638J Guest

What i miss? lol Sorry if i caused any depression from some of my posts in the past... MA Whens the BBQ?????? Whos all showing up? Sis you gonna be coming?

24. Major Attitude

Same old, same old, random 6 month cycle of reminding people how we roll here.

25. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Tim you s**t!!!

26. Major Attitude

See, crap like that will earn you a beating. Or spanking if your a hot chick. Oh crap, we're gonna take this WAY off track, huh?

27. N5638J

N5638J Guest

I think you left a word out at the end of that Mcadam ;) lol

28. Mimsy

Macadam! Your signature made me think of one I saw in another forum I'm a member of the other day. It said "Practice, practice, practice until you get it right. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic." LOL

29. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I've directed several of my young relatives here with no worry about what they might read in the forums, because it is such a well-moderated site.

I've found MG to have the best forum around . . . and I've been surfing for a long while. I appreciate the obvious effort expended by the mods here to keep it such a quality site - I have no doubt it is a difficult and largely thankless job. Nobody "sees" what a mod does by and large; you have to read between the lines and understand that this level of quality does not come without dedication and unrelenting toil on the part of a handful of people.

I've said it before . . . well done, Major Geeks! Heck, I even bought a t-shirt! ;)

30. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

They weren't REALLY professional though.

They were egotistical, greedy, irresponsible entrepreneurs full of hubris.

Why else would they have said their ship was unsinkable.

BTW, I like that signature too.
    I've found myself thinking about it a number of times lately.

Hope this isn't too serious or off topic :confused :)

31. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's OK man, half this thread is off topic!:proflmao

However, I do understand the need for this thread.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  32. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Mimsy! Your signature made me think of one I saw in another forum also. It was written by a baby on a typewriter with the keys mixed up ;)

Please don't shoot me

33. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Crap!!! I thought that was my job!!!! :(

34. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I just now know which way you swing ;)

35. Mimsy

Shoot? I use swords. [​IMG] Or wasp spray. LOL

36. joey off the street

When I say shoot, I mean with sharp things. Like arrows :eek

37. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I think that is first come, first served.

38. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Where does the line start?

39. joey off the street

Manhattan. Ends in Noo Joizee.

40. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

"If you understand this, you need a life."

Guess i need a life?

"mzil [???] velkyn wun nindol ssin'urn jallil"

41. joey off the street

Umm.....yeah.
    What language is this? I'm sure I read In a previous thread that it was from some book or game or something. I'm not good with languages, especially ones that look like they were written by a two month old orangutan with a poor grasp of spelling.
    I think I need to get out more and find out who is writing this stuff. I mean, does someone really write this stuff? Deliberately?
    Why make up a language when there are so many good ones already in existence that are quite adequate?
    @ Fred G. Bet (s)he's American. Or mental.

42. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hey JOTS, try this one out: LOL
    Yes, it is a whole different language. LOL

I'd like to add, that I am glad to see this thread, because too many people have been insulted in the lounge, and I don't think that was the purpose of the Lounge in the first place.

43. Mimsy

What can I say, I'm apparently a complex person. Or maybe just very geeky. LOL

Besides, it matches my current avatar. :)

I think a native speaker might be more likely to simply say, "elgg l'wael", than try to argue though... ;)

44. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Why argue at all? Is it really necessary? Insulting someone doesn't fall into the category of fun in the first place.rolleyes

45. Mimsy

I think that depends on whether you are on the giving or receiving end of the insult. :innocent

Here JOTS, some light reading for you. L'amith! :)

46. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Dear God, I go afk for a few months and the place goes all namby pamby deep dark emo on me? I should start posting again... make all right with the world. :p

Good to see the mods keeping the place on track. If people want to discuss their dark emotional issues (Because I guarantee whatever you have, I freaking win) that's what support groups, your facebook friends if they care, and Oprah are for. Just a better place to do it a better way then in Geek central.

Geeks don't have problems, we have computers. Rawr.

Much love to all.

47. Major Attitude

48. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

OMG, is this an endorsement of Corporal punishment ?? rolleyes LOL

49. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Can't picture that. Not even a teeny tiny bit. Unless we mean farm animals... then Maaaybe.

50. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

They have to be farm type???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds