Plugin-container.exe Issues.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arcanum, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Arcanum

Arcanum Private E-2

Last month I ran into a malware, and Kestrel and Chaslang helped me get rid of it. Now I run into an odd but troublesome issue, as the title says, it's the dreaded plugin-container.exe.

It's probably general knowledge by now that this process eats up CPU like a horse on steroids. However, I only chose to bring this up now because only now it has decided to go chomp some CPU. Which is odd because as far as I have known, throughout operations from Firefox 3.6.4 all the way to Firefox 3.6.9, it has run smoothly without any known issues. But why does it only start to affect me now?

Because now it's driving me nuts. Gets in the way of my MMORPG program and makes everything run at the speed of snail.

I know there is a way to disable the plugin-container without reverting to 3.6.3. But I use Flash almost on a daily basis, Java I use very rarely, and I know that is what plugin-container.exe is for.

If I disable the plugin-container.exe, will I still be able to run Flash normally? If it goes back to Youtube crashing on me every once in a while from Adobe plugin failure I can live with that.

And I know that reverting back to Firefox 3.6.3 would solve a lot of problems without much hassle, but that would make my computer a lot more vulnerable to viruses, and I've become even more paranoid after that last Trojan incident, so no goes there.

P.S.: At first I thought it was the work of the NET Framework Assistant, so I disabled that, then everything ran normally, the plugin-container dropped to below 50% CPU usage. After I turned it off and on again, the plugin-container goes back on steroids and uses 86-99% CPU usage.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

It should.

I've never had the problems that "plugin-container" was designed to solve, so it's been disabled from the get go. No problems, everything works normally.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds