Have older computer Athlon 1.1ghz cpu with 1 gig ram. Won't run puppy linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Dec 3, 2010.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I'm checking out different linux programs. I have an old computer that's an Athlon 1.1 gighertz cpu with 1 gig ram that I'm trying to run puppy linux in and it seems to load alright but then before I get to the main screen it just hangs. The screen stays black. Anyone know why?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's possible you had a bad burn or the download was bad. If you still have the iso, can you check the MD5 signature? Anytime I burn an OS iso, I burn at 4X speed. I have run puppy on a number of machines and never had it fail.

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Hi Tgell and thanks for the quick reply. I've tried the cd on another computer that's a dual core (just 1 and 1/2 years old and it boots up fine). I also tried it on another older system (a single core 2.4 ghz cpu with 512 ram and it did the same thing. I've checked the cd drives on both systems with maxtor hd manager and they worked. I'm baffled

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

At the boot prompt type one of these to see if it works. No quotes.

"puppy acpi=on"
    "puppy acpi=off"
    "puppy acpi=force"

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Press F2 at boot and there will be options to select.

Puppy Linux Forum Thread on the issue.

:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds