Password 'decoders'

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lavender, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Several programs offered on MG will allow someone to learn what is shown under password xxxxxxxxx This worries me. Can anyone use such a program to find out what my passwords are?

Recently, my Internet provider told me it is safer to save a Live Mail password rather than type it in each time. Is that true for all email accounts? I am concerned because I have proof that my Gmail account was hacked and I no longer use it.

2. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Looks like no one wants to take this on.

Any similar threads around that i can look at?

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    As long as nobody has physical access to your computer, they could not use a program to obtain passwords stored on your computer that would be revealed. Even if you downloaded the program, it still would not be able to reveal passwords for things like yahoo mail or your banking passwords. On the other hand, if your computer was infected by a keylogger, any of your passwords would be subject to the risk of being obtained, even remotely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging

4. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Combofix Log

I installed and ran Combofix. I don't think it found anything but is there a way I can show you the log?

Do I send it as an attachment?

5. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

That is a scary article. Someone can listen to the letter and numbers hit on a keyboard and figure out what they were? The person who hacked Gmail is technically very clever but a friend and I managed to trap him three times in all by sending PMs to each other on a site we're both on. He also uses spy cameras and audio megaphones. Illegal or not, he doesn't give a damn. He uses two or three different names on the Net and what he posts about people is disgusting. The cops will do nothing to stop his illegal activities.

No one has physical access to this computer. I have IObit Pro installed, I run Ccleaner and Comodo, and I just ran Combofix. I have a log it made, but I don't think there are any problems, but what do I know? I'm the least geekish person around here. I'm very careful where I go on the Net so anything someone does to my computer come from one source.

Any suggestions on who could check the log or where I should send it? I'm not sure if attaching it would be safe unless only the Major Geeks here can see it.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Attach it and I will look at it.

7. TimW

8. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Re: Combofix Log

Hi Lavender,
    You need to go back to your original thread when this was mentioned....

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=243677

TimW has said that he will take a look at the log for you ;) you must attach the log as you would normally attach to posts, like this....

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

There is no info that a hacker could use in the log that combo fix produces, only those that are highly trained to read the logs can make any sense out of them.

You really need to stop fretting about the security of your machine, you will make yourself ill, your machine is very secure with the software and tools that you have installed.

[EDIT: Merged threads.....TimW]

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

10. TimW

In and out today. :cool

11. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thank you both, and thanks for merging the threads.

Okay, I'll have a shot at attaching the log.

12. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Combofix log.

I don't know if it worked or not.

Attached Files:

13. TimW

The only thing I see in your logs is this:
    c:\program files\Conduit

I suggest that you use add/remove programs to remove Conduit.

14. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Yeiks! Can't find add/remove. Checking if i can download it here.

Thanks for your help.

15. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Please suggest a add/remove program. I have searched my computer and nothing shows up. Conduit doesn't even show up.

16. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Control panel > Programs > Uninstall a program . . .

17. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

But Conduit doesn't show up anywhere so I can't very well uninstall it if I can't find it.

18. Kestrel13!

Then just delete the folder which TimW pointed out to you. ;) c:\program files\Conduit

19. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

So where would it show up? It isn't listed in Programs or anywhere else on my computer.

20. Kestrel13!

I just told you in my last post.

I would also like to point out to you that you never actually got round to finishing up in our thread in malware removal. Symptoms of being hijacked If you were to ever get to finishing up there, you would have an expert give you the all clean hopefully by the end of the procedures. (Probably TimW because I dipped out of it if you recall) Then you can finally relax, with the knowledge that there is nothing unsavoury on your PC. Agreed?

21. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

It shows up in the combofix log. So I just delete it there? It doesn't show up anywhere else.

I'll check the other thread I had going. I KNOW this person hijacked my Gmail and odd things have been going on with my computer, like certain programs and legal documents disappearing.

22. Kestrel13!

No, you cannot do that because the Combofix log is not your computer.... it's just a text file, so you will not find the real folder there. What is shown in the log is the path to the folder and the folder itself on your PC, which is: c:\program files\Conduit So... navigate to it by clicking start > computer > then double click the C drive > then double click the Program Files Folder to open it > Then once you see the conduit folder, right click and delete!

23. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Done that a few times but Conduit isn't listed. I've also ran Search and it isn't listed.

Could it be part of another program or folder? It doesn't show up anywhere as Conduit.

24. Kestrel13!

Simply do not worry about it then. :) Finish up with TimW please in your thread in malware. If he declares you "all clean" and reports not finding any malware, you can rest assured that will be so. So the worrying can stop.

25. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

26. Kestrel13!

Please.... just finish up with Tim, if there ARE any traces of conduit left (which is nothing to worry about anyway) then it can be easily removed. This thread could go on and on, just buckle down into trying to get MGTools to run. If that will not run we will use another information gathering tool.

27. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I wish I could get it to run.

Okay, THREAD CLOSED.

28. Kestrel13!

Well, we can try and work out why it does not run, try and get it to run in another way.. OR as stated previously, we could use a different information collecting tool. Yep, we will stick to the malware thread now as you say. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds