BSOD caused by nvidia drivers (i think)

Discussion in 'Software' started by butchergav, Dec 30, 2010.

1. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Hi peoples,

I have had help on here before any help greatly appreciated!!

My probem is my hp pavillion dv2700 randomly crashes to BSOD or sometimes a black screen where i have to force shutdown or a black screen with pixels. It can run for hours with no problems or sometimes 10 minutes. More often than not its playing a game or watching a movie from hard drive but sometimes just browsing on firefox.

To date I have ran memtest overnight with no errors

Defragged hard drive

Ran system check on start up (which will stick on last step at usually 28% or so if i remember correctly)

updated virus programs (AVG and Spybot, Malware Bytes) all report no problems

updated drivers : chipset and graphics by unistalling then rebooting, using driver cleaner pro to remove any traces in safe mode and installing new drivers (again in safe mode)

I have replaced Nvidia drivers with the latest ones and archived ones to no avail, also tried omega drivers....same result.

I downloaded blue screen review to get dump files from latest BSOD and they point to nvlddmkn.sys as the culprit (nvidia) or sometimes ntkrnlpa.exe (not sure what that is :()

My specs are:

windows vista home premium service pack 1 32 bit
    Geforce 8400m GS current driver (latest from nvidia) 8.17.12.6099
    Intel core 2 duo t9300 @2.50ghz
    4GB ram

I have attached my last two BSOD reports if this helps

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Here is my everest report on my machine specs also :

Attached Files:

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Judging by those text files with error listings, you have virtually everything major crashing on you, which is not likely in reality, which leads me to think that you are having heat/temp issues.

Any reason you dont have SP3 for Vista installed yet?
    Are all your other drivers upto date and installed, check in Device manager for any yellow ! marks and if you see any what are they?

Run Speccy or Everest again and all I need is your GPU temps if listed, your CPU is at 66c ~ 151F which is hot, this could be causing your random BSODs (my CPU is only at 44c and I'm running Folding at Home which pushes the temps up alot, also CPU cooler is on lowest rpm settings)

failing those two ruin Speedfan and see if it tells you what you GPU is at?

Options to cool the CPU down, well make sure the heatsink and fan are free from dust (may need with the laptop off to use a hoover to suck out the dust and fluff from the air vents, or use some canned air), if the laptop is on a soft surface then the air vents underneath may get blocked try on a flat surface or if it is on a flat surface pop a few cd cases under each corner to prop it up.

If you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) is the laptop ok?

4. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Hi thanks for the reply,

I ran speed fan which reads my GPU temp at 74C / HD 54C / Temp1 66c / Temp2 66C / core0 57C / core1 60C

I take it these are hot. I did think the laptop was hot before and have hoovered the dust from the vents (there wasnt much there) I was going to go into the fan itself but my laptop is very hard to fet to the fan and video card. the whole front has to come of and the screen taking of etc.

If these are considered hot however i will get it checked out. I can hear and feel the fan burring away as norm.

5. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Hmmm i lifted my laptop and blew really hard on my vents and alacazam my temps are dropping rapidly on speed fan. I am abroad working just now and cant get into my laptop but hopefully this has dislodged dust and solved the problem. I will update any further probs.

Current hd temp is 58 (still hot i imagine) and dropping slightly
    core0 39c
    core1 44c
    temp1 49c
    temp2 49c

David on a footnote can you install vista service pack 3 after 1 or do i need to install 2 first?

Many thanks.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Sounds much better temps (sub 50c is much better) and maybe a few more times either blowing out the dust or with machine off a vaccum to suck the fluff out should help more.

Yes you can jump direct to SP2, SORRY oops my bad as only SP2 is out for Vista as yet not SP3 (was looking at some updates that are tagged SP3 as once a Service Pack is release all the subsiquent updates are tagged as SP3 and rolled up into the SP3 package "IF" released), so yes just install SP2, and I would wait till your home to do this, then backupo all important files and docs etc then run the update.

Do keep an eye on the BSODs if they keep happening and let us know.

7. butchergav

butchergav Private E-2

Has definatley been the problem as I have had no crashes since temps have dropped. I will get SP2 when home, Thanks a lot m8.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. thomas_nuffan

thomas_nuffan Private First Class

In regards to vista SP2, It has been my experience that If this machine DOES NOT already have SP1 installed he must have That installed FIRST. Otherwise SP2 will not install properly.

Assuming this is a 32-Bit system --

Service Pack 1

Vista Service Pack 2

9. DavidGP

Just may need to re-read my last post again (one in which I said sorry), I completely forgot about there not being an SP3 on general release and as ButcherGav has in his original post SP1 anyways, so installing SP2 was not an issue, I was purely getting ahead of myself in thinking SP3 was available and you could likely (if XP SP3s install was anything to go by, get away with skipping an SP as you could jump from SP1a to SP3).

But very correct in that you do needs SP1 first before SP2 in Vista :) cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds