Switch to Vista Home Premium x64

Discussion in 'Software' started by justalittlegeeky, Feb 10, 2008.

1. justalittlegeeky

justalittlegeeky Private E-2

MS has gotten on my bad side. This post ties together my last two threads.
    I bought a HP desktop with Vista Home Premium 32 bit installed with the reassurance that it is 64 bit capable and I can upgrade when ever I want. Well, that time has come. I bought the upgrade disc, and sent in for the 64 bit DVDs, which are on their way. Now through my research, I have found out you cannot upgrade from any Vista 32 bit to any Vista 64. You must uninstall the current version, install XP (32 or 64), then use your 64 bit Vista upgrade disc, OR buy the full version of the system you want. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us# OK. So I should be able to downgrade through MS or HP, right? No. They each tell me to contact the other. I found on my own, that MS grants no downgrade rights for Vista Home Premium, or Home Basic - probably their most popular systems on store bought computers!
    So as close as I can figure, I have an upgrade disc and DVD that I cannot return, (you have to open the case for the activation code to order the 64bit DVD), so I am forced to buy an XP disc and license, OR buy the full install version.
    I am aware of the 'clean install workaround' for upgrades, but there is talk that that might be fixed with SP1, that is about to be released. In which case I would be equally screwed.
    It seems to me this could have been easy to document and make consumers aware, but this information is almost hidden by MS, and therefore seems like a deliberate act to get consumers to buy licenses that can never be used.
    I really hope I am wrong or that someone has some information that can help me out, please?!

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I am using Vista x64.
    If you want to keep your old Vista 32, then you can use the Vista cd (either one to shrink the present partition, and form a second partition, and , yes, an upgrade will install as base into the new partition.Vista can do this without losing data, but, always save to cd/dvd, anything important, just in case. You can then run both, if you wish.
    Once registered, I would not think that you will have any problems.
    Microsoft is after pirates, not the genuine purchaser of its software, so I would think that they would not interfere with yours.
    Just install the x64 on another partition - One awkward thing about Vista isthat it takes the C;drive wherever it is put on the hard drive - I manage, because I have several partitions, and operating systems on my pc.
    If you have problems download Vistabootpro from majorgeeks downloads oage, to sort out the boot sequence.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  3. justalittlegeeky

justalittlegeeky Private E-2

Thanks for responding, bak. I'll give it a shot. (look for my next thread in hardware, probably tomorrow)

Still, shame on MS. I still think they are being misleading to boost sales. A business should cater to its customers, not make them jump through hoops.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds