Computer locks up when using WiFi network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pat Brown, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

I got a couple USR2011 80211b adapters set up ad hoc. About 10 ft. sperate these two computers one being in an upstairs room directly above the other.

I have no problems with the connection, both computers find each other without any problems. I don't know how to put this but if I use the connection it locks up my computer. If I open network places on the XP box the computer will lock up just viewing shared resources. If I can get a shared folder open and try to retrieve a file it locks while the file is downloading.

This is disapointing because I was hoping to use the win98 PC upstairs as a music server. As it is right now I can't get a song to play for more than a few seconds before everyting locks up.

So what might be causing this?

2. Ricko0

Ricko0 Private E-2

I'm not specifically familiar with USR2011 adapters, but with 80211b, I'm assuming means you're going wireless. A quick way to start would be to run an internet speed test on both boxes. If the 98 box is considerably slower than the xp, something as simple as moving the computer away from electrical chords might fix the situation. I found that out the hard way once....drove myself crazy trying to figure out why one computer was surfing the web slower than the other... moved the box about 6 inches out from the wall to check the card (again), and presto! like a new machine.... anyway. let me know if this helps...

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Lock ups using network resources would lead me to believe there is a driver problem with the wireless card, provided the hardware is sound.

4. Ricko0

Ricko0 Private E-2

you could be right Adrynalyne, I just like to start off with the easiest possibilities, then work my way up... I just figured if the connnection worked to some degree, but then the xp box locked after using shared resources, it could just be interference. Ping test would tell...

5. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

I'll try mocing them around tomorrow night. I might end up putting the 98 machine downstairs anyway so my kid can use it for his homeschooling. If that don't work I'll look into the driver side of it.

I tried to move an MP3 about 3MB in size and it's almost like the network choked on it. After Cntrl Alt Dlt to recover control all I got was 5 second piece of the file! I'll let you guys know if any of this helps. Thanks.

6. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

now its really starting to sound like drivers. Also, you may want to try rebooting BOTH computers, mine does that sometimes and i just have to reboot one or both computers. I don't know if that will apply to you, though, because i'm running a 802.11b wireless network with router. Also, if one is the server, you want to restart it first.

7. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

I'll try mocing them around tomorrow night. I might end up putting the 98 machine downstairs anyway so my kid can use it for his homeschooling. If that don't work I'll look into the driver side of it.

I tried to move an MP3 about 3MB in size and it's almost like the network choked on it. After Cntrl Alt Dlt to recover control all I got was 5 second piece of the file! I'll let you guys know if any of this helps. Thanks.

8. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Well, don't forget to try ...

Just having read another thread--guy couldn't get the cable modem to work, without rebooting it, when he switched to it after using the USB modem.

Make sure no other lan adapters/drivers are running. Might help!

Starkman

9. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

I took the adapter off the computer upstairs and hooked it up to my lap top that I brought home. @ 2 feet from each other the XP machine was able to talk to my ME laptop just fine. To see if it was just a range issue I walked the laptop upstairs and soen right in front of my 98SE box and was still not having a problem. So I shut down the laptop and booted the 98 and plugged the adapter back in. No prblems!

WTF? Did the network fairy come to my house while I was sleeping? I have had one or two hiccups since but other than that no issues at all. It is almost as if I trained the XP machine to find the 98 PC upstairs. Oh well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds